[LINUX] HOW-TO get Logitech Harmony Universal Remote + Custom Buttons working in XBMC
nickhopkins08 Wrote:Will the below work for plugging the XBOX IR dongle into my PC? I'm having problems with the website suggested on the first page:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-4...0-czu.html

Most likely, but you can get an X-box to USB for cheaper than that and quicker off e-bay. Play-Asia usually takes forever to ship, and they always over-charge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX-Controller-to-P...088wt_1165
Has anyone successfully mapped a script? If I'm running a script without arguements would it be something like this:
Quote:RunScript(/dev/sdb1/home/xbmc/.xbmc/scripts/My Scripts/wakeonlan.py)
?
Nevermind... my base PC doesn't have WOL support (from anything other than Suspend)... I didn't realize there were any PCs made after ~1995 without WOL - proprietary BIOS fail.

Also - WakeOnLan(macaddress) was added to the the default controls - so I could have easily mapped XBMC.WakeOnLan(xx:xx:xx:xx) - if I'm reading correctly.
Evin Wrote:I'm using a mceusb-receiver.

When I stop lirc and use Mode2 I get this after pressing a button:

Code:
space 101600
pulse 2650
space 850
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 800
pulse 500
space 850
pulse 1400
space 800
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 350
pulse 550
space 400
pulse 450
space 400
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 950
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 450
space 850
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 350
pulse 950
space 850
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 600
space 300
pulse 950
space 800
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 950
space 800
pulse 950
space 69050
pulse 2700
space 800
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 550
space 750
pulse 550
space 800
pulse 1350
space 850
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 950
space 350
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 550
space 800
pulse 500
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 550
space 350
pulse 1000
space 750
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 500
space 400
pulse 950
space 800
pulse 600
space 300
pulse 950
space 850
pulse 1000

Any ideas? Sad

I need help here too. Switched to an mceusb receiver and I'm getting this when trying to add custom buttons.

EDIT: Nevermind I just mapped some unused pre-mapped buttons. Would be nice to have more but I got Suspend and that was the one that mattered.
For these instructions to work, which USB IR receiver should I purchase? I purchased http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-Remot...598&sr=8-1

However, this product is detected as a HID/Mouse and not as a LIRC based remote (thats what i read on this forum). so these instructions did not work.

I have XBMC Live installed to HDD on a Acer 3610.

Please suggest which USB IR receiver I should purchase.
conchamp Wrote:For these instructions to work, which USB IR receiver should I purchase? I purchased http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-Remot...598&sr=8-1

However, this product is detected as a HID/Mouse and not as a LIRC based remote (thats what i read on this forum). so these instructions did not work.

To learn what that device does, do a search in the forum for "cheap usb remote from dealextreme" or just click here
thanks. i saw this link before. after reading a few posts like the one you referred, i think this cheapo remote does not let customization thru lirc, also manual learning of universal thru the original cheapo remote did not work properly.

i guess i need to purchase a MCE compatible USB IR receiver/remote. can anyone suggest one?
Using this guide I have everything working except power. When I press the Harmony's power button, nothing happens. If I assign a custom button to PowerToggle, it too does nothing. Any ideas?
conchamp Wrote:thanks. i saw this link before. after reading a few posts like the one you referred, i think this cheapo remote does not let customization thru lirc, also manual learning of universal thru the original cheapo remote did not work properly.

i guess i need to purchase a MCE compatible USB IR receiver/remote. can anyone suggest one?

I'm using a StreamZap remote IR receiver, and its not "exactly" compatible with a Media Center remote. I did find that lirc supports it,and Harmony has it in their database. I did have to manually set the "OK" button to "Enter" in the Harmony set up, but other than that, the set up works great (better than the clone MCE remote I had that was not completely compatible).

I've read that Pinnacle remotes are "certified compatible", so you might search on them.
Hello,

Sorry for my bad english Smile

thanks for the nice Tutorial, I configured my Harmony with the custom buttons and it works fine. Now I would add two additional buttons, shutdownmenu and a button for video window (not database). Harmony has the custom buttons saved and i configured the lircd.conf with the RAW Codes:

Code:
#My Harmony 885 Custom Button Codes
        UPVID           0x6f
    FILEMAN           0xb3
    SHUTDOWN       0x8a
    CLEANVID       0xb5
    SCREENSHOT     0x4f
    24           0xac

SHUTDOWN is for the shutdownmenu and 24 is for the video menu.

Now, I add it to lircmap.xml:

Code:
<!-- My Custom Buttons -->
        <obc117>UPVID</obc117>
        <obc76>FILEMAN</obc76>
        <shutdown>SHUTDOWN</shutdown>
        <obc144>CLEANVID</obc144>
        <obc132>SCREENSHOT</obc132>
              <myvideo>24</myvideo>

Finally saved /keymaps/remote.xml:

Code:
    <universalremote>
          <obc117>XBMC.UpdateLibrary(video)</obc117>
          <obc76>XBMC.ReplaceWindow(filemanager)</obc76>
          <shutdown>XBMC.ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)</shutdown>
        <obc144>XBMC.CleanLibrary(video)</obc144>
        <obc132>XBMC.TakeScreenshot</obc132>
        <myvideo>XBMC.ActivateWindow(video)</myvideo>
    </universalremote>

reboot my system.

Now when I press the custom "video" button its open the non-database window. But when i go before in the movies-db or tvshows-db window and press the custom "video" button then xbmc go in the window that I selected before (movies-db or tvshows-db).

The shutdownmenu button has no function, the code i have used is from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Window_IDs but not works Sad

My System:

ASRock ION 330-BD
IR: xbox dongle.
harmony 885 remote
Ubuntu 10.04
actual xbmc svn
skin: alaska

I hope you understand my poor english and can help me Smile

Best regards from Germany
Can nobody help me ? Sad
meathane Wrote:i got as far as pasting in the 2nd line and got this

GNU nano 2.0.9 File: /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

#This configuration has been automatically generated via
#the Ubuntu LIRC package maintainer scripts.
#
#It includes the default configuration for the remote and/or
#transmitter that you have selected during package installation.
#
#Feel free to add any custom remotes to the configuration
#via additional include directives or below the existing
#Ubuntu include directives from your selected remote and/or
#transmitter.

#Configuration for the Windows Media Center Remotes (new version Philips et al.$
include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

[ Read 14 lines ]
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell

no idea
I'm getting the same problem and have no idea what to do, I'm not exactly great with Linux.
Ok, just wanted to update this thread. I just did a fresh minimal install of Lucid on my Revo and have almost everything working running latest XBMC SVN nightly build.

Lirc seems to be broken after upgrading to Lucid. I put all of my cofigs back in the same locations as described in my guide here, and my remote isn't working.

I will update this thread with the solution as soon as I find it.

-hogfan
Ok that may explain why I'm not having any luck. Then again it's probably just one of the reasons. Is there any way I can check if my IR receiver is adequate? I bought a cheap one that came with a no-name "MCE" remote. The direction buttons on the cheap remote move the mouse pointer around the XBMC screen but I can't get much else to happen. Haven't been able to get anything to work using the ir receiver and Harmony remote.

Thanks for any clues.
That ir receiver is not going to work for you if it shows up like a mouse. Do a bit of searching here and you will find some good/cheap recommendations for a receiver. The receiver you currently have will not allow you to use the play/pause/stop buttons on your remote.

If you can get one, I recommended the XBOX DVD Playback Kit dongle from the original xbox. you can get a connector to convert it to USB and then just plug it in.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get Logitech Harmony Universal Remote + Custom Buttons working in XBMC1