[LINUX] Activate VDPAU rescaling for XVID and MPEG2 on NVIDIA Feature Set C Hardware?
Does it work on GL builds for Windows as well?
Hi,

There would still be some advantages to having vdpau support for those codecs, that is unless there is another way to achieve the same effect.

Most significantly, I have observed that there is a difference in black levels between the vdpau output and the alternative. VDPAU seems to output in TV ranges (16-235) so I set my TV to the appropriate setting to compensate, while the regular renderer seems to output closer to PC (full range) output, so I have to switch my TV back to compensate again otherwise the picture is too dark.

Secondly, vdpau has a *very* nice sharpener built into it, which is very good to have when upscaling SD content.

So it's more the issue of having a consistent renderer (or at least black levels) that makes VDPAU support for everything attractive than any performance benefits.
bohdy Wrote:Most significantly, I have observed that there is a difference in black levels between the vdpau output and the alternative. VDPAU seems to output in TV ranges (16-235) so I set my TV to the appropriate setting to compensate, while the regular renderer seems to output closer to PC (full range) output, so I have to switch my TV back to compensate again otherwise the picture is too dark.
For VDPAU Full RGB range (0-255) uncheck VDPAU Studio level color conversion in Video settings. Wink
Just wanted to express my thanks to all who have contributed to the thread and to alanwww1 for doing the build and making it available. Cool
ezechiel1917 Wrote:For VDPAU Full RGB range (0-255) uncheck VDPAU Studio level color conversion in Video settings. Wink

Oh is that all it does?

Rolleyes

Now I feel a bit silly.
Is available it in the latest SVN build?
athloni Wrote:Is available it in the latest SVN build?

Yes it is but there is another known problem in the svn bulid. The sd divx/xvid streams doesn't work with vdpau. I set the renderer to auto and I have an nvidia card with vdpau support so the xbmc try to use first the vdpau if possible. I have a video card with vdpau C support and when I play a divx/xvid sd file the renderer is vdpau but it is not working now. If I set the default renderer to opengl the vdpau isn't work.

So I need the patch, but I have 64bites karmic and the patch contains only 32bits packages.
Because nothing is ever easy..

In testing on my Asrock ION 330,
a) I had to turn on the sync audio to gpu option
b) Only bilinear, bicubic and nearest neighbour work without video lag and audio sync issues :-(
c) unoptimized Lanczos 3 drops way too many frames

This is with nvidia 190.53.
finite3 Wrote:Because nothing is ever easy..

In testing on my Asrock ION 330,
a) I had to turn on the sync audio to gpu option
b) Only bilinear, bicubic and nearest neighbour work without big audio sync issues :-(
c) unoptimized Lanczos 3 drops way too many frames

This is with nvidia 190.53.

Does Lanczos 3 Optimized work?
Not well - audio sync is out (behind) on most xvids I have tried :-(
Information 
Shifting to this thread for further discussion: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67486.
alanwww1 Wrote:Practically for SD videos you don't need HW acceleration at all. Only for HD vidos. An SD mpeg2 or divx can easily be played on the weakest cpu exists.
Alan

You're right. But it's true only if you use progressive material. When you watch interlaced SD material over SW deintarlacer, picture is not good .... This problem will be btw. after integrating VDR into XBMC (pvttesting branch). Most VDR users uses switching VDR/XBMC (vdr-external-player) rather than using XBMC with integrated VDR due to problem with interlaced MPEG2 material - SD SAT broadcast is still with MPEG2/interlaced ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Activate VDPAU rescaling for XVID and MPEG2 on NVIDIA Feature Set C Hardware?0