Possible to Organize Music Without Tagging?
Hello, friends,

I have a rather large music library containing a variety of audio formats--mostly MP3, FLAC, MP4, and ALAC. I need to organize my library without editing these files' tags. Many applications depend on the files' current tags, & they cannot be changed.

I have tried using NFOs to override the information in the tags but have had no success. Refreshing artists & albums usually yields incorrect information, if any at all.

So is this possible? I would appreciate some assistance.
So what's the problem? If the tags are fine you won't have any issues.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It should be pointed out that XBMC actually CAN'T edit tags on music files.
Catchy Signature Here
sneakysneaky Wrote:Hello, friends,

I have a rather large music library containing a variety of audio formats--mostly MP3, FLAC, MP4, and ALAC. I need to organize my library without editing these files' tags. Many applications depend on the files' current tags, & they cannot be changed.

I have tried using NFOs to override the information in the tags but have had no success. Refreshing artists & albums usually yields incorrect information, if any at all.

So is this possible? I would appreciate some assistance.

The easiest solution that I can think of, is to arrange the files in the file system, and then run XBMC with library mode turned off. Then you won't be able to browse by genre, artist etc, but at least you can organize the songs without changing the tags.
Didn't mean to disappear on my own post.

A great deal of my tags are incorrect, but i cannot correct them without messing up some other programs. It's a real bummer.

Abandoning library mode would work but would be unfortunate. I would lose a great deal of organization power.

It's possible to manually rename movies & TV shows, ignoring both metadata & scraped data... but not music?
if movies/shows had proper tags i would gladly remove the possibility to rename in the gui. if some software relies on you having borken tags, that software is borken.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to Organize Music Without Tagging?0