What remote should I get?
Alright, I've been doing a lot of research and reading of the forums. I can't decide on a remote.

I'd like to find a remote that can do everything in xbmc that I currently do with my mouse, and more of course :-)

I think I would like to stay under $100, but I would also like it if whatever remote I ended up with could also turn my TV and A/V receiver on and off. I'm sick of having all these remotes.
I'm really happy with my Logitech Harmony. And since XBMC is made for remote control you can do everything (or more) with it.
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC

A universal remote works by emulating a specific remote. I would get the official MS MCE remote (from eBay) as a lot of the universal remotes have emulation for this remote built in. Get the MS remote working first then configure the universal remote to emulate it. The Logitech Harmony is a popular choice.

JR
Why get a MCE? Just get a receiver, everything else is wasted money imho.
Where can you buy an MCE receiver without the remote? As far as I know Microsoft does not sell them separately.
As far as I know every IR receiver will do ...
ashlar Wrote:Where can you buy an MCE receiver without the remote? As far as I know Microsoft does not sell them separately.

Ebay. About $15 shipped. Get either an HP or SMB Link model, they work great.

Just make sure you get one that is for Windows XP if thats what you are running. The ones that say for 'Vista' dont have drivers compatible with XP.
the_alien Wrote:As far as I know every IR receiver will do ...

Well, any IR receiver can probably be made to work, but an unwise choice of receiver can cause much pain. I strongly recommended using a pukka MS IR receiver or one you know is fully compatible.

If you're going to be buying a receiver anyway why not spend a few dollars more and get the handset as well? The point is that you can get everything working with the MS remote, then you're sure the receiver is configured and working properly. That way if you run into problems with your universal remote you will know the problem is not the receiver.

JR
If you have an iPhone, you can get the xbmc remote control app for it.

That's what I've been using for a while now and it works great. I think it was just a couple of bucks too.

Cheers,
Radsam
I know that it is over $100 but the Harmony One remote is awesome. It can be configured for activities as well as single devices so at the click of a single button mine will;

Turn on the TV
Change the Input on the TV to the HTPC
Turn on the HTPC
Change the Setting on my HDMI Switch to HTPC
Turn on the AMP
Change the input setting on the AMP to the HTPC
Launch XBMC on the HTPC

At the press of another button it will turn everything off or change all the settings for another activity such as TV through the DSTB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What remote should I get?0