[AppleTV] What's the ultimate video encoding settings for Apple TV?
Question 
What is the maximum the Apple TV can handle? I have lots of HD rips and some of them play very well, others don’t. I’ve checked the compression settings of some of the files and figured it out (mostly).

The Apple TV will playback without hiccups if the file is [email protected] or even [email protected] as long as the bitrate stays in the 1500-1700 range. If the encoding is [email protected] with a bitrate of 2500, the file stutters.

Using Handbrake, I can convert the files to an Apple TV compatible format, but I think that I can do a bit better. With this preset, the frame size is reduce and the bitrate is set to about 1,700Kbps.
For example, I’ve just created an MP4 file using the Apple TV preset. The file is 960x400 (was reduced), but the encoding is [email protected] with a bitrate of 1854Kbps. So it’s a matter of frame size vs. bitrate. I can have either a 1280x720 [email protected] on 1500Kbps or 960x540 [email protected] at almost 2000Kbps.

So my question is, which is better? how do I set up Handbrake to give me to ultimate Apple TV/XBMC compatible video? Does anyone have some presets to share?
What are you actually looking to achieve? The issue I see with the last set of handbrake settings is that the files come out quite large bit in fairness play quite well even in frontrow
If you get the crystal HD and you can use full high profile you get cabac that takes 10-20% off a file compared to same settings
interceptor121 Wrote:What are you actually looking to achieve? The issue I see with the last set of handbrake settings is that the files come out quite large bit in fairness play quite well even in frontrow
If you get the crystal HD and you can use full high profile you get cabac that takes 10-20% off a file compared to same settings

I'm looking for the best possible quality I can get without stutters. I can't get the Crystal HD (is that even possible with an Apple TV?), so an updated preset for Handbrake will be perfect. The Apple TV preset currently in Handbrake is made for Frontrow, and XBMC goes beyond that.
Crystal HD can be installed on an AppleTv
Who told you that XBMC plays better than frontrow? It plays more formats and has got options to deal with the stuttering but I believe the video limitations are pretty much with the hardware not the software. Actually sone iTunes rentals are very good quality
Well, I can't replace the Airport card for the Crystal HD, as I need the wifi connection to connect to the internet.
You can connect the ATV to a wireless N ethernet bridge like I have done
XBMC does not have any magic weapon to win the hardware issues the files will play but loose frames so I would keep the handbrake settings for ATV or try a two pass with 2500 max bitrate to save space
If you turn debug on when you look HD content you will see that it does never reach 24 fps with CPU at 100% so it needs to loose frames to keep up
All my HD files that I create are done with Profile 3.1, and I use vbv-bufsize and vbv-maxrate x264 parameters to keep video in line with apple tv specs. bufsize is set to 5000 and maxrate at 12000. When I used two pass I set video bit rate to 6144 now I use nothing but contstant quality with setting of either 18 or 20 depending on the source. Here is sample report from media info using two pass and constant quality. Hope it gives you some ideas. Also I primarily use front row and am currently testing xbmc with crystal if thats of any help to ya.

Code:
Bit rate                         : 6 144 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.4 Mbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels

Overall bit rate                 : 3 887 Kbps
Bit rate                         : 3 566 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 14.3 Mbps
There are numerous threads/FAQs about maxing out you encodes for the ATV in the HandBrake forums...I know, I pioneered most of them. You also have to take in consideration rather its 24fps or 30fps. What works for 24fps on the ATV will not always work @ 30fps. Either way, I believe the discussion will be better suited on HB's Forum.
The key point here is that there is no specific encoding for xbmc but just encoding for appletv
I would be curious to check how many frames are dropped with that profile with 6mbits. ATV can't handle that without hardware help
donut Wrote:All my HD files that I create are done with Profile 3.1, and I use vbv-bufsize and vbv-maxrate x264 parameters to keep video in line with apple tv specs. bufsize is set to 5000 and maxrate at 12000. When I used two pass I set video bit rate to 6144 now I use nothing but contstant quality with setting of either 18 or 20 depending on the source. Here is sample report from media info using two pass and constant quality. Hope it gives you some ideas. Also I primarily use front row and am currently testing xbmc with crystal if thats of any help to ya.

Code:
Bit rate                         : 6 144 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 13.4 Mbps

Overall bit rate                 : 3 887 Kbps
Bit rate                         : 3 566 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 14.3 Mbps

Great, thanks a lot. You wouldn't mind exporting those presets and post them here, would you? :o
Great, thanks guys. I already posted on HB forums. I read quite a bit there and there's a lot of info, most of it way to advance for my encoding knowledge. I guess I'll have to sit down for a few hours and get with it.
Guille779 Wrote:Great, thanks a lot. You wouldn't mind exporting those presets and post them here, would you? :o

Use ripbot264 (over on doom9) for all your HD needs. The Apple TV preset is already configured correctly. Use CQ over 2 pass. Anywhere from 18 - 22 will be good. Lower the number the higher the quality. You can use mediainfo (sourceforge) to show statistics on your output file. Will look similiar to what I posted. Also dont forget to resize your source. Apple TV will do 1280x720 @24fps and 960x540@30fps. Should only have to use the latter for interlaced sources.

Cheers.
donut Wrote:Use ripbot264 (over on doom9) for all your HD needs. The Apple TV preset is already configured correctly. Use CQ over 2 pass. Anywhere from 18 - 22 will be good. Lower the number the higher the quality. You can use mediainfo (sourceforge) to show statistics on your output file. Will look similiar to what I posted. Also dont forget to resize your source. Apple TV will do 1280x720 @24fps and 960x540@30fps. Should only have to use the latter for interlaced sources.

Cheers.

You're the man, thanks!
donut Wrote:Use ripbot264 (over on doom9) for all your HD needs. The Apple TV preset is already configured correctly. Use CQ over 2 pass. Anywhere from 18 - 22 will be good. Lower the number the higher the quality. You can use mediainfo (sourceforge) to show statistics on your output file. Will look similiar to what I posted. Also dont forget to resize your source. Apple TV will do 1280x720 @24fps and 960x540@30fps. Should only have to use the latter for interlaced sources.

Cheers.

Any idea why RipBot stays forever on "Muxing..." after converting the file? It seems the encoding is done, I can play the file and everything.
You should search the ripbot thread as others have brought that up before in the past and couldnt honestly tell you which tool version causes it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] What's the ultimate video encoding settings for Apple TV?0