Is AMD 4850e not enough for 1080p
I've tried to play Band of brothers Hd and ended up with small tearing or the screen freezes only little moments my girlfriend cant see them but i can.

The CPU goes at 70-85% of capacity.

Should I buy a new one like AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8GHz to get smooth picture? Or should I overclock to optimize the 4850s?
What about a video card?
I dont know.

The cpu costs about 100 euro.

How much is a good silent graphic card?

Any recommendations?
depends on other factors as well.. There are limitations produced by the OS as well as hardware.. You need to read on the OS limitations on HD as well its wise to go fairly hefty for CPU, Ram and especially video card. In many ways its not absolutely necesary to spend the world on the video card right now providing you have a card with enough ram and know it performs well with the the CPU/ MB. I like both AMD and Intel but it depends on the combination of hardware and of course the planned function.

There is alot of talk on the proposed and present configurations for HD. Figure that aspect first. Ask your self the right questions.. What is the playback device.. Do you plan on multi monitor support. Size of the screen will determine the apropriate resolution. This of course determines the best settings... Does the video card and monitor like these native settings..
vesarious Wrote:depends on other factors as well.. There are limitations produced by the OS as well as hardware.. You need to read on the OS limitations on HD as well its wise to go fairly hefty for CPU, Ram and especially video card. In many ways its not absolutely necesary to spend the world on the video card right now providing you have a card with enough ram and know it performs well with the the CPU/ MB. I like both AMD and Intel but it depends on the combination of hardware and of course the planned function.

There is alot of talk on the proposed and present configurations for HD. Figure that aspect first. Ask your self the right questions.. What is the playback device.. Do you plan on multi monitor support. Size of the screen will determine the apropriate resolution. This of course determines the best settings... Does the video card and monitor like these native settings..

You make a good point. So you say that there is no agreement of what hardware setup is enough for HD playback?

My computer is a dedicated HTPC for movies and multimedia share.

The funny thing is that my projector can only handle 1080i but shouldn't XBMC scale down the 1080p signal and then handle the movie without any tearing?
Have you enabled V-sync in catalyst control centre? If not then you will get tearing. To enable it right click on the icon in the tray go to 3D settings then "Wait for vertical refresh" and set that to Always on. I dont know what you do for a vNidia card but there is a similar option.

The AMD 4850e should be find for 1080p playback. My HTPC has a AMD 5050e (2.6 GHz) & ATI HD 4550 (Passive cooled) & can play 1080p just fine in windows 7. The only time it struggles is when I am downloading films at the same time but that is because of the software I use for downloading which after the film has downloaded it goes through a very cpu intensive process of unpacking, verifying & checking the file for errors which uses 80-90% of the cpu. It will play SD content fine during this but just cant handle HD as there is not enough spare computing power.

I will be changing to the Dsplayer version of XBMC when it is a little more stable which will ofload to the gpu & so this issue will go away. May be worth you checking out the thread in the forum and giving it a go but as mentioned before it sounds like you need to enable v-sync.
someone Wrote:Have you enabled V-sync in catalyst control centre? If not then you will get tearing. To enable it right click on the icon in the tray go to 3D settings then "Wait for vertical refresh" and set that to Always on. I dont know what you do for a vNidia card but there is a similar option.

The AMD 4850e should be find for 1080p playback. My HTPC has a AMD 5050e (2.6 GHz) & ATI HD 4550 (Passive cooled) & can play 1080p just fine in windows 7. The only time it struggles is when I am downloading films at the same time but that is because of the software I use for downloading which after the film has downloaded it goes through a very cpu intensive process of unpacking, verifying & checking the file for errors which uses 80-90% of the cpu. It will play SD content fine during this but just cant handle HD as there is not enough spare computing power.

I will be changing to the Dsplayer version of XBMC when it is a little more stable which will ofload to the gpu & so this issue will go away. May be worth you checking out the thread in the forum and giving it a go but as mentioned before it sounds like you need to enable v-sync.

I have v-sync enabled so the solution is maybe to test Dsplayer
I have the same cpu and also had issues with Band of brothers 1080p.
They play fine in WMPC (in CCCP) though, but in XBMC I got tearing. Specially noticeable when they are dug down and take heavy bombing during the night (quick white flashing in the dark).
Nahaz Wrote:I have the same cpu and also had issues with Band of brothers 1080p.
They play fine in WMPC (in CCCP) though, but in XBMC I got tearing. Specially noticeable when they are dug down and take heavy bombing during the night (quick white flashing in the dark).

Then it has to be the xbmc codes who cant render properly.
Why cant i choose witch codec pack i want to XBMC?

Can also say that V-sync does it jab well becourse with out it it become almost unwatcheble
I also have AMD 4850e, and can't get perfect HD playback. It is almost usable, but the occasional stutter gets irritating for a movie.

I have GeForce 8200 integrated graphics, which by using VDPAU performs very similar to CPU-decoding.

Is a dedicated graphics card the only solution? (one extra fan worries me)
berland Wrote:I also have AMD 4850e, and can't get perfect HD playback. It is almost usable, but the occasional stutter gets irritating for a movie.

I have GeForce 8200 integrated graphics, which by using VDPAU performs very similar to CPU-decoding.

Is a dedicated graphics card the only solution? (one extra fan worries me)

No not when you have an 8200 which does hardware decoding VDPAU under linux and DXVA under windows, XBMC supports DXVA2 under vista and win7 and DSPlayer supports DXVA in XP, vista and win7

Those that don't have a card that supports hardware decoding could get something like a nvidia G210/GT220/GT240 which are reasonably priced

You could try adding the following to advancedsettings see if it makes a difference using the standard version in windows

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<skiploopfilter>48</skiploopfilter>
</advancedsettings>
Sorry I forgot to mention my OS. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit.

I guess your skiploopfilter was a Windows-specific tip? Anyway I tried it, but could not see any effect on my system.

When playing stuttering HD content, I see the following lines in xbmc.log:
Code:
22:32:30 T:140730879961360 M:1466609664   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:6174167.261320, should be:6187298.349971, error:13131.088651
Just fyi, I'm using a 4850e with raedon hd3200 onboard graphics in win7 x64 and it has a bit of a difficult time with high bitrate 1080 files. However, I've moved over to the latest svn with dxva decoding and it works pretty well. CPU usage is around 4-5% on the same files which caused problems previously

as well, the dsplayer branch is making some good progress towards dxva decoding

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is AMD 4850e not enough for 1080p0