getting acer revo back to system specifications?
i need to return my acer revo but bestbuy won't take it back until i get the original software back on it. unfortunately i can't do so because
a) it didn't come with any software
b) it doesn't have a cd-rom drive.

so how can i get a hold of the original software it shipped with and how can i get that software back on the machine?
Format the HD - Computer is broken, I don't want it Smile
lifeisfun Wrote:Format the HD - Computer is broken, I don't want it Smile

I agree with that one.
huh?
sean6293 Wrote:huh?

huh? what they said

1) format drive, or erase all the partitions, just get it so that when you turn it on, nothing but a system error appears. I assume since you have managed to get rid of the original software, you have the ability to do this.

2) return it and say - Hi, I bought this and it doesn't work. I've lost my faith in the product and think I'll buy something from a name like HP or Dell in the future.

3) make sure you know what you want before you buy it next time.
misterpink Wrote:huh? what they said

1) format drive, or erase all the partitions, just get it so that when you turn it on, nothing but a system error appears. I assume since you have managed to get rid of the original software, you have the ability to do this.

2) return it and say - Hi, I bought this and it doesn't work. I've lost my faith in the product and think I'll buy something from a name like HP or Dell in the future.

3) make sure you know what you want before you buy it next time.

they won't take it back unless it has all the original software on it. what makes you think they'll take it back if i format the hard drive?
We are basically saying erase it and say it crashed and wont boot. You don't have install disc's so you cant do anything.

Most of these stores have OS's that they can restore themselves and type in your reg key from the sticker on it.
sean6293 Wrote:they won't take it back unless it has all the original software on it. what makes you think they'll take it back if i format the hard drive?

Dude, really?

YOU: "HI THIS IS BROKEN."

BB: "WHATS WRONG WITH IT?"

YOU: "NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN I TURN IT ON"

BB: *maybe tests it, maybe doesnt* "WOULD YOU LIKE ANOTHER ONE?"

YOU: "I DONT WANT ANOTHER ONE. I'M NOT COMFORTABLE WITH A PRODUCT THAT DOESN'T EVEN WORK OUT OF THE BOX"

BB: "SORRY ABOUT THAT." *returns* "CAN I HELP YOU WITH ANYTHING ELSE TODAY?"
sean6293 Wrote:they won't take it back unless it has all the original software on it. what makes you think they'll take it back if i format the hard drive?

They're telling you to say its broken and then return it, which is either true and a good idea, or not and fraud.

Best Buy's return policy is that you can return a device if its broken, or if you've had it for 14 days or less. The original software makes no difference at all. If you've had it for 14 days or less, you can return it in any condition. If not, only if its broken.

See:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...&type=page
He has 14 days, broken or not broken. And if they turn it on and its obvious he has tampered with the original software, he's right, they are not going to let him return it.

If he wants to return it, yes, hes going to have to fib as discussed above. Or just find a Customer Service rep that doesn't check - which shouldn't be that difficult honestly - but he's still going to have to keep himself from admitting he blew away the original software.

I suppose if he doesn't want to burn in hell for all eternity he can just sell it on ebay or something.
okay so i went and bought an external cd-rom drive and tried to get winXP back on with all the software/tools i had. after five blue screens and failed attempts later i said fuck it and ereased the hard drive and all partitions, went to BB and said "i bought this a few days ago, it was working fine then it had a bluescreen and when i reset it it gave me some error regarding loading the OS, whatever that means" (this was at a different bestbuy) anyway they took the computer and the cd-rom back without any trouble. sucks that i had to basically had to pretend it was broken to get my money back.

and for the record the only reason i was returning it was because my main PC died and i don't have the extra cash to replace it and keep a spare htpc laying around.
saratoga Wrote:They're telling you to say its broken and then return it, which is either true and a good idea, or not and fraud.

Best Buy's return policy is that you can return a device if its broken, or if you've had it for 14 days or less. The original software makes no difference at all. If you've had it for 14 days or less, you can return it in any condition. If not, only if its broken.

See:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...&type=page
i read it.i called corporate and everything. they wouldn't take it back if i had "altered the product" so i had to resort to deleting the partitions and pretending like the hard drive failed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
getting acer revo back to system specifications?0