Moving files within a shared drive
I've got two Windows 7 machines in my home network. One is my media center the other my laptop. I've got an external USB hard drive hooked up to the media center with all my media files on it and share this drive over the network. I've also got a Bittorrent client (uTorrent) running on the media center that I control on my latop with the webUI.

Now, when a download is finished I want to move the downloaded file to the appropriate media folder. The download folder is on the same USB drive as the media folders but when I access the drive through the network on my laptop and try to move a file within the drive (from download folder to media folder) it takes forever (!) and looks like the file is being transferred to my laptop first and then being copied back to the shared drive in the new folder again.

I've tried using an FTP server but FTP has no moving functions. Is there any way I can send a command from my laptop to move a file within the media center drive without it first being transported all over the network??
To whom it may concern: disabling the Remote Differential Compression in the Windows 7 features fixed this problem for me.

It only works with files on the same drive on the remote pc and only with moving files. Moving a 6 GB file goes in a split second, copying the exact same file to the same destination still goes with 600 kb/s. But moving was good enough for me Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving files within a shared drive0