• 3(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD
i think you should Tongue

it only cost me £35 from ebuyer, though, i don't think you are from the UK are you? So i'm not sure what availability is like for you.
25 Euros Z3r0Huh Thats insane, lol.
I can't find them anymore in the netherlands, strange.
bobo1on1 Wrote:I can't find them anymore in the netherlands, strange.

I think they aren't produced anymore. Bought mine at toys'r'us, don't know if you have this shop in NL.
they have toyrs'r'us in germany? They might ship to the netherlands?
Kode Wrote:they have toyrs'r'us in germany? They might ship to the netherlands?

I don't think that they do shipping, I went to frankfurt to buy one. The clerks there didn't even know that they had them in stock ;-)
I've created a howto on my site http://www.lockstockmods.net/2010/05/22/...with-ambx/ that includes the newer information, its mostly for my own benefit for when i accidentally hose my setup and have to reinstall it, but if anyone has any suggestions to make it better, please let me know, i have also given full credit to this thread and the respective authors.
For any linux novices like me, heres a simple script that allows you to start boblight in xbmc-live without having to go into terminal and type the commands each time.

1. Make directory and shell script
Code:
mkdir lights
cd lights
sudo nano lights.sh

2. Enter the commands you would usually type in terminal to start boblight (add any alterations to saturation/timer interval as you wish as well) replace yourxbmcpassword with your password
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo yourxbmcpassword | sudo -S boblightd
export DISPLAY=:0.0
boblight-X11

3. Exit and save
Code:
Ctrl X (exit)
Y  (to save)

4. Make the script executable
Code:
sudo chmod +x lights.sh

5.test it works (lights should come on)
Code:
sudo ./lights.sh

Once you have done that, just install the launcher (detailed instructions here)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739

Open up launcher in the GUI and simply select the script file. Now you can simply add it to your favourites or assign it to a button.
What I use myself is a udev rule. If I press the power button on the ambx device it starts the needed things itself. I'm using the set with the speakers integrated (premium kit i think) so maybe the ATTRS{idProduct} is different for the Starter kit. Also I'm not sure if there is a power button on the starter kit. The premium kit power button is at the side of the right speaker

My udev rule: (/etc/udev/rules.d/99-ambx.rules)
Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0471", ATTRS{idProduct}=="083f", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/bin/startambx"

/usr/bin/startambx
Code:
#!/bin/sh
boblightd
su - xbmc -c "DISPLAY=:0.0 boblight-X11 -v 7 -s 7"

replace "xbmc" if you are using a different username.
Theres a power button on the main unit on the starter kit, but there doesn't seem to be any indication its on, i thought mine was broken until i lifted it up and noticed a small amount of light coming from inside when it was on
jaaps Wrote:I'm using the set with the speakers integrated (premium kit i think) so maybe the ATTRS{idProduct} is different for the Starter kit.

It SHOULD work, since lsusb says the following to my starter kit:

Code:
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0471:083f Philips

I will try out later, since I'm reinstalling my mac mini where xbmc is running.
I don't think it would work for me as i don't turn the kit off as such, i have my tv, htpc, ambx, AV receiver all connected to the same plug socket, so after i turn off the htpc i turn the plug off at the wall, which turns everything else off as well, then when i turn it back on again it turns the amp, tv, receiver and ambx on, then i press the power switch for the htpc, so the ambx would be on before the htpc
bobo1on1 Wrote:I can't find them anymore in the netherlands, strange.

There're a few on "marktplaats.nl". Got mine for 15 euro's. Nobody wants them anymore...untill now Smile
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
The udev script works like a charm, I only had to modify it slightly since it asked for a password when executed. I circumvented it using sudo before su.

My script looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
boblightd
sudo su - xbmc -c "DISPLAY=:0.0 boblight-X11 -s 5.0 -t 0.1 -a 20 -v 5"

Btw the -v value makes the lights shine brighter. This is especially good when in not so dark conditions. I still have to find the optimal settings for my room.
The udev route is a far better solution, I will give that a try
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO get AmbX with X11 working using Boblight and CombustD0