Wifi Router dying, need recommendations for new one
Ok, I have a Linksys WRT54G router that seems to be dying (lots of dropped signal to the laptops in the house, receiving "low" signal strength where I used to get "Good - Excellent" and my old modded xbox' that are using an original xbox wifi access point is not able to stream video any longer without being so choppy its un-watchable) so it looks like I need to get something new.

I've been a Linksys guy in the past, but havent shopped for a new router in awhile. D-Link also seems to be a decent brand, but I've always strayed away from Netgear since I've had poor experience with other peoples Netgear equipment.

My Needs:
-I'll be hooking the router up to the cable modem upstairs in my duplex and hard wiring four machines to it. (None of which are Gigabit equipped) Then I have two laptops and two iPhones hooked up wirelessly. Finally wrapping up the setup is two old school modded xbox' with xbox wireless adapters attached to stream videos via XBMC from upstairs.

Price range:
-Well of course I'd like to stay as cheap as possible, but I'm willing to invest in this as well since streaming video is a big part of my daily life.

What I'm trying to avoid:
-Since I've already bought these two old school xbox access points, I'd like to stay away from having to replace them with new access points for the $$ reasons.
-Since I dont have gigabit connections on any of the PC's that are hardwired I dont know its necessary to get the gigabit router, other than simply planning for the future.

Ok, any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance!!
Well after a few days of researching I decided just to get another Linksys WRT54G but this time I'm buying the GL model that apparently has all the appropriate hardware for the DD-WRT third party Linux upgrade that I stumbled across and have been reading up on. (Found on NewEgg for $56)

Other factors in this decision was mainly that I didn't want to have to buy a nice Wireless N router then upgrade all my access points, and ethernet cards in my four computers in the house to actually get both Wireless N & 10/100/1000 connections.

Finally I still live with roommates so I didn't want to spend a bunch of $$$ and have it potentially get used & abused.

I never got any input here (no biggie) but figured I'd post up my decision in case anyone else cared to know.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi Router dying, need recommendations for new one0