is there a firewall?
Smile 
I have just installed xbmc live
then I installed xfce
updated tvheadend everything works very well so far Smile (1day)
but I noticed that no firewall is listed in synaptics.
Is there one installed? Which one with a gui is recommended?

Thanks for your reply
Dave
very happy 3days so far
concerned about firewall though
is there one installed by the xbmc-live cd

Dave
No, but theres nothing stopping you installing one.

Not that i really see any point in it if its just being used as a htpc and isn't externally facing.
if you really want a firewall on it:

apt-get install shorewall

I'll leave it to you to visit their site for config instructions
MC1 (SD & HD): Asus A8N SLI, AMD x2 4600+, 2GB DDR 400 Cosair, Palit Nvidia 9400GT 1GB (Passive), ARTIC 500W PSU, Lian Li PC-C32B, Samsung 250GB SATA
MC2 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
MC3 (SD&HD): RaspberryPi
NAS1: HP Prolient Microserver N40L 2Gb Ram, 250Gb OS Disk, 1x2TB HDD ext4, 5.25" to 3.5" disk drive added to ODD Slot for OS disk

Blog: http://ninet.org
Thanks for the information re shorewall
I give it a go

Prae5
If we are not connected to the net. how do we do addons and updates?
a good firewall theses days is a must.

dave
He didn't say not connected to the internet, he said not externally facing, from which i'm guessing he means sitting behind NAT (as most computer behind a wireless/wired router/modem) are, i.e. if you type http://your-external-ip and you dont hit your xbmc machine, its not externally facing (unless you port forward of course)

*edit*
The point being, if i didn't make it clear, if you use the box as a standalone xbmc htpc (which doesn't even have a web browser) a firewall will offer you no extra protection, with the exception if you set up port forwarding on your router/modem to control your htpc over the web (and in which case externally facing).
spottyrover Wrote:a good firewall theses days is a must.

you heard that on TV? Rolleyes
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
there's a firewall built in with the kernel by the way, and its been that way forever, welcome to the world of linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is there a firewall?0