Clone mode and tearing on TV.
I'm running clone mode between my TV and monitor, both use 1920x1080 resolution. The problem is that I get tearing on the TV, but not on the monitor. My graphic card is a Radeon HD5850. TV is connected by HDMI and monitor with DVI. Operating system is Windows 7 64bit.

I have tried all combinations of vsync settings between XBMC and Catalyst Control Center. The best that I've gotten is that there is only a line at bottom half of the screen flickering a bit now and then.

I really dont wanna have to resolve to UltraMon to set my TV as primary when using XBMC, which I read should work and solve this problem. I have also tried setting TV as primary screen before doing the clone mode, didnt help at all.

Is there any way this can be fixed without having the TV as primary? I really dont understand what's causing this problem.

*edit* I think I actually solved it. I found a setting for chosing preferred monitor in Catalyst Control Center. When I set TV as preferred the tearing now only occurs on computer screen instead. Smile
Old thread I realize, but this information he posted is quite useful, so I just had to chime in here.

If anybody uses HDMI for audio on their PC, but wants to have video go only to their primary display (because not having to go through the receiver reduces input lag, and input lag is a very bad thing for gamers) you need to create a dual monitor setup even though you only have one monitor.

My first solution was to have a cloned display. That created a problem though; while in cloning mode, one of the displays will have tearing because it has to drop part of the frame of the second monitor before it finishes drawing in order to have that monitor sync perfectly with the first monitor. Unfortunately windows will often place the HDMI display as the primary and the DVI display as secondary. This creates a problem because your only display has tearing.

So then I used extended displays. This created a problem in that you had to move the second desktop off to a corner so that you wouldn't move your mouse cursor off of the screen on accident (but it could still get stuck on the other display if you moved it to the corner.) Also, very frustratingly, sometimes some windows will open up to the second display, and you'll have to turn off your amp just to reclaim them, and sometimes turning it back on again moved them back over to that second display.

But the information he edited into his post was a gem. Set your displays to clone mode, open up catalyst control center in advanced mode, go to "desktop management", and then "creating and arranging desktops". On the bottom you'll see "Please select a display." Mouse over both displays and look for the tooltip that describes the monitor. Right click over the monitor that is your display, then click "make preferred"

Viola! No more tearing and all annoying side effects are gone.
After trying numerous Aero this and Aero that fixes and updating drivers and making sure that Hz settings were all lined up with my 47" LG and my Benq projector....this actually worked!!!!!!!!!
Any old thread but a good one, I am also cloning displays & setting the tv as my primary display fixed the tearing problem, thanks!
Shameless gravedig because this is a surprisingly common problem. I have a 1080p monitor/720p HDTV setup.

I didn't have to use CCC (or Crimson, whatever its called these days) to fix this, but its the same solution. I changed Clone Mode to Extended Mode then made the HDTV the primary through the Windows interface. Changed it back to Clone and now NEITHER the monitor nor the HDTV have screen tearing.

Bless this forum and bless this thread

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone mode and tearing on TV.0