Can't play DVD's
Are you 100% sure? Because hal is NOT installed by default in 10.04 you said this was a fresh install.
I'm using Mythbuntu 10.04. ...maybe they added HAL. I didn't install it manually.
Code:
ryan@ryan-media:~$ sudo apt-get install hal
[sudo] password for ryan:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
hal is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 70 not upgraded.

HAL must be installed as a dependency for xbmc or something, cause it was installed on mine.

Here's the Debug log. The steps taken: Enable debug logging, reboot (creates new log), wait for it to boot, insert DVD ("Blue Streak"), wait a few seconds, click the play button, error pops up, exit error via CANCEL button, pull log via SFTP.

EDIT: log was too much text, moved here.

Checking mount, it seems that the DVD drive isn't mounted, which could be the problem:
Code:
~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/External type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Ever since I bypassed the GNOME login to enter directly into the XBMC session, the USB drive I use doesn't auto-mount by default. I had to make a special Udev rule for it to mount to /media/ whenever a USB drive is detected. Maybe by bypassing the Ubuntu desktop as many of us do, the auto-mount feature (which is a GNOME process I believe -- a process that isn't started if we bypass GNOME) fails, thus the DVD drive doesn't mount.

That's my theory, I could be completely wrong. =P

It's been so long since I've manually mounted a CD drive that I've forgotten how to do it. Let me see if I can Google it. =)

EDIT: Well, I mounted /dev/sr0 to /cdrom. It was apparently successful, since I can browse the video_ts directory on the DVD. however, XBMC is still spitting an error. Does it look for a DVD in a certain location (perhaps in /media/ ?)?

EDIT 2: Just did some more testing. I made a symlink that directed both /media/cdrom and /media/cdrom0 (the two directorys I think XBMC might look at for the DVD) to /cdrom. I even added an fstab entry to automount it on boot and rebooted the computer in hope that XBMC would reset itself. Nothing worked. Methinks it's a XBMC problem.

I don't know how to open up a bug report, so someone else needs to. they can use my log if they like. =)
There is already a bug report http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8715 ...the problem is that is unassigned and nobody seems to be working on a fix
beaujolais Wrote:There is already a bug report http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8715 ...the problem is that is unassigned and nobody seems to be working on a fix

DOH! Dev team: Pretty please with sugar on top? Oo Would be sweet if this is fixed for the next release, even better if it's in the SVN!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't play DVD's0