CrystalHD, ATV, Adjust Refresh, and 1080P
Hi Folks,

I've been reading a bunch of threads but have myself confused. Perhaps you can examine my understanding and point out if I'm on the right track:

1. In frontrow, you can set your display resolution.
2. In XBMC, you can play media files of differing content resolution.
3. CrystalHD should be able to decode up to 1080P off the CPU.

My experience is as follows:

1. Playing a 1080P file when frontrow's display resolution is 1080P results in severe stutter/lag.
2. Playing a 1080P file when frontrow's display resolution is 720P results in SIGNIFICANTLY improved performance, although with occasional drops

Obviously the end goal is to play a 1080p file at a display resolution of 1080P without lag using the CrystalHD. I saw some allusions to adjust refresh, which sounds like it allows you to play at a 1080P resolution even if frontrow is set to 720p (although it sounds like as of this post it wasn't implemented yet).

Is that correct? Has anyone else with CrystalHD installed played with the frontrow display settings and observed different results? Is there a recommended setting to get everything playing in an optimal fashion?

Thanks!
lalaw Wrote:Hi Folks,

I've been reading a bunch of threads but have myself confused. Perhaps you can examine my understanding and point out if I'm on the right track:

1. In frontrow, you can set your display resolution.
2. In XBMC, you can play media files of differing content resolution.
3. CrystalHD should be able to decode up to 1080P off the CPU.

My experience is as follows:

1. Playing a 1080P file when frontrow's display resolution is 1080P results in severe stutter/lag.
2. Playing a 1080P file when frontrow's display resolution is 720P results in SIGNIFICANTLY improved performance, although with occasional drops

Obviously the end goal is to play a 1080p file at a display resolution of 1080P without lag using the CrystalHD. I saw some allusions to adjust refresh, which sounds like it allows you to play at a 1080P resolution even if frontrow is set to 720p (although it sounds like as of this post it wasn't implemented yet).

Is that correct? Has anyone else with CrystalHD installed played with the frontrow display settings and observed different results? Is there a recommended setting to get everything playing in an optimal fashion?

Thanks!

So far, no one has been able to get XBMC on ATV to setup the display to be 1080p. You might set frontrow to 1080p but XBMC is not running the display at 1080p. This point has been discussed to death. If you are really running XBMC at 1080p, inquiring minds would like to know how you did this.

Remember, display resolution has nothing to do with video content resolution and it's decoding demands.

The recommended display resolution is 720p.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CrystalHD, ATV, Adjust Refresh, and 1080P0