is my pc powerful enough?
Recently one of my xboxes died Sad, and so, since i can't get them anymore, i decided i would use a spare pc i have, i installed xbmc on it, however it would'nt play movies, so i had to switch to a 'GL' build, all working now, however the movies play with a stutter, and its very of putting,so i was wondering if the computer is upto scratch?
I'm using onboard graphic card, it's got 768mb ram, windows xp sp3, and a speed of 1.20ghz.
Is this the reason why the playback is slow?
Thanks for all suggestions!
ehh... definitely not fast enough for "HD" .mkv content. What format are the videos in? I would think that it would be sufficient for lower quality DVD rips, depending upon how bogged down that computer is of course. If you are running SP3 then 768 RAM is going to put a hurt on you too tho. If it were me, I'd use a different PC altogether tho rather than trying to make this one work.

I suggest at minimum:

Dual Core 2 Ghz
2GB RAM
i was thinking that, oh well, at least i dont have to buy a case for the new board!!
Thanks for that!!
As Compcentral said, its definately not powerful enough to play HD content unless you invest in a new graphics card (ATI 5450 or Nvidia 220 are the cheapest decent ones). Although you'll need a PCIe slot on your MB for that.

You shouldn't have any problems with SD content (Xvid, DivX, Dvds etc)
HTPC specs:
Samsung 40" ES8000 3DTV, Win8 Pro 64bit, Intel Core i3 530, ATI HD5450, Antec Minuet HTPC Case, 6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333, Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
i am though, playing raiders of lost ark, in AVI format, and its stuttering, do you think adding some ram might help?
I know its a old computer, but its for my 6 yr olds room.
falafael Wrote:i am though, playing raiders of lost ark, in AVI format, and its stuttering, do you think adding some ram might help?
I know its a old computer, but its for my 6 yr olds room.

Your RAM should be fine for XP and SD content. First off i would try and play your avi in some other software and ensure you have the latest drivers prossible for your onboard graphics. Try MPC-HC or VLC Player.

If your still getting stuttering in those, then obviously your PC just doesn't have enough juice...
HTPC specs:
Samsung 40" ES8000 3DTV, Win8 Pro 64bit, Intel Core i3 530, ATI HD5450, Antec Minuet HTPC Case, 6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333, Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
The drivers are upto date, have not used any other player to test as it needs to run xbmc, she's adept at using xbmc, so this is the one i need to use, looks like a trip to maplins then.

Thanks again lister mate!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
is my pc powerful enough?0