Which NAS?
burritoboy9984 Wrote:Lol, you think your's is overkill, see my sig for mine.

-Erik

You prefer openfiler over freenas, why? Do you have a list of pro's and cons?
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:You prefer openfiler over freenas, why? Do you have a list of pro's and cons?

The same reason I have an i7 and 12gb of ram. Performance Smile Found it to be more powerful. However, I will admit, freenas seemed more "user friendly".

On a side note, I don't use this for only file serving, I do a "little" bit of testing with vmware server...

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
I nam new to XBMC.
I have a dlink dns-323 attached to my network but xbmc does not list it as a source for movie files. Can any one suggest a solution?
I just installed win 7 and explorer sees the nas as a mapped drive but XBMC doesn't.
Help
http://nexenta.org/ - open, ZFS, Solaris, Webfrontend
http://www.qnap.com/ , http://www.netapp.com/ - both blackbox but quite fine peruse the store
I've been using WHS 2011 with Stablebit Drivepool for about a week and it works great. I ordered a Synology DS1511+ because I don't want to have to worry about it. ;-)
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Ubuntu all the way for me, its free and you can do whatever you want with it - Its more then just a NAS.

I used to use FreeNas but I kept finding restrictions. Firstly I wanted a music server like subsonic. This was possible but a pain to setup. Then how do you integrate a DVR (TV server) into FreeNas? or how about setting up a VPN to your FreeNas? These tasks are easily accomplished on Ubuntu.

I have heard great things of unraid but everyone has different requirements. ZFS looks great which may be a reason to use Freenas - but you can install ZFS on Ubuntu too. A friend of mine has a complete backup of my NAS so I see no point in redundancy atm.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
+ for Ubuntu server. If you want Unraid functionality check flexRAID. I use it for a long time and don't have any issue with 8TB setup.
I'm using a Netgear Readynas Ultra 4 for my media and general storage needs. Can't complain about it really, it's been fast and reliable for the last year or so I've had it running.

It also uses minimal power when the discs are spun-down (<25 watt) which is nice for the power bills Smile

I'd just waiting for 4TB drives to become more widely available, and cheap so I can swap out a couple of 2TBs. I rip my Blu-rays to MKV and they sure suck the space up pretty fast Shocked
Server: HP 8200usdt | Core i7-2500S | 16GB Crucial DDR3-1333 | Seagate 750GB Hybrid HDD | Oracle VirtualBox host for virtual machines (XBMC database etc.)
NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 | 4x3TB WD RED (8.1TB RAID 5)
HTPC: Shuttle SH67H3 | Pentium G860 | 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 | 64GB Crucial M4 SSD | XBMC with AEON NOX skin | Windows 7 Home 32-bit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which NAS?0