Very Strange Popping Sound When Pausing/Resuming Passthrough Audio Playback
Sad 
Hello All,

Currently I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on my HTPC and I'm experiencing some issues getting passthrough audio working correctly with SPDIF. I've tried a plethora of fixes including creating the .asoundrc file as suggested in the Linux FAQ.

I'm using the following hardware:
Asus P5N7A-VM (nvidia 730i chipset)
Intel E5300 Dual-Core Processor
4GB of DDR2 667MHz Memory
160GB WD Green Sata HDD.

I have video playing through the HDMI port and sound going through the SPDIF optical port.

In order to get pass through audio to work I have to either disable Pulse Audio, or select one of the "Analog" options in the Pulse GUI. If I disable Pulse completely sound works just fine but when I stop or pause a video that uses passthrough audio (DTS), my speakers make a weird zip then pop sound. I actually notice the same issue if I go into alsamixer and mute and unmute the master volume, same zip then pop sound. Now if I configure Pulse Audio to use an Analog output device, I lose the weird popping noise but I get weird 4 second slow motion playback effect when I stop and start a video.

Any ideas on what this might be? I've looked around for an answer but haven't found anything that has worked.
Hey Agripus.

See here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=75595

I have posted two comments there, trying to figure this out... Could you maybe try what I have written, and see if it solves your problems?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very Strange Popping Sound When Pausing/Resuming Passthrough Audio Playback0