Keep HTTP server running in background?
Ok, so I'm just getting started with XBMC on my Windows 7 PC, I have movies/TV shows set up and working and I'm using the XBMC remote iPod touch app.

Would there be any way to keep the web daemon running as a service on my PC so I can at any point in time grab my iPod, pick a tv show/movie, hit play and have XBMC launch and begin playing said movie fullscreen?

The only way I can see it so far is to have it run with some form of taskbar icon forcer, but that would take up a lot of RAM when it's just idle...

Ideally this setup would also work when the computer is at the logged in lock-screen but I highly doubt it's actually possible within Windows so it's ok.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
No. XBMC is not and never will be designed to run as a service.

You could install a HTTP Server as service and relay anything to XBMC, if XBMC isn't running launch. This approach however would mean coding the service and probably your gonna need to start XBMC as soon as anything try to request since you wouldn't want to deal with the parsing of the library yourself.

Better would probably be to create a uPnP library (were the service have a proper interface) and fill it and let XBMC use that as source instead.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keep HTTP server running in background?0