XBMC 10.5 - Release question
My first post.. so hello everyone..

Just came back from the xbmc roadmap site (http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap)

I use xbmc on my computer vista proff, 64bit with a 22 inch screen and it runs great. However I have another pc i'd like to hook up to my tv in the living room, but its got that white screen problem when playing videos. I think its got something to do with the graphics card or something, and I've read somewhere on the forum to use the openGL version of xbmc or something.. but that version is so slow and the skins dont work as good (i use transparency and aeon)..

Just wondering if the new release 10.5 will fix this? cos i cant really understand whats written on the roadmap page.. im not that techsavy.. hehe

thanks
Probably not. White screen indicates you don't have pixel shader 2.0 support which is what we require. Update that graphics card Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks for the timely response.. upgrading it is Big Grin
While the white screen is a common symptom of missing PS2.0 support, you can try installing the MS June 2010 Direct X runtime. Sorry if I'm taking away your excuse to upgrade Smile
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
hey CrystalP.. does this solve the white screen problem.. what does install the MS June 2010 Direct X runtime actually do?
I just read this topic and have another question regarding this white screen.
Because I often have a white picture as a thumbnail for a movie, which is generated when there is no hit at the scraper.
This happens actually at .mpg and .m2ts files. Avi, divx, flv are fine...
But this couldn´t be related to PS2.0 support! Cause playing the movies is fine!!!

I mean I know this problem is there a long time, minimum a year I would say. And maybe something has to do with the codecs? I have many music videos and on some when I play them the first second is white also.

Any ideas?
unrelated. it's a bug in our seeking routines which makes it end up on a non-keyframe and subsequently generate white/grey/crappy thumbs. i've looked at it, but forgot all about it again.
Oh okay thanks....good so my reply remebered you on this!!! Not so bad!
...so...are releases officially being released again? (or is the requested moratorium on dailies still in effect?)
if you're too lazy to check on xbmc.org, i'm too lazy to answer your question.
spiffs got a point, you should check buildbot yourself, but here's a link to nightlies

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies
Actually, unless Spiff is magically seeing a post that says that the builds are stable to use again there's nothing on the front page stating builds were even close to stable again or should be built again (i.e., the requestted moritorium was lifted).

You know, in response to the April 27th front page post saying that there would be a post saying when features were stable enough for use or the original March 1st post asking for stopping of nightly builds.

So, in short, I checked XBMC.org. There's no formal answer to my question there aside from the builds. Was looking for an actual answer or info if the requested pause was formally lifted.
Pretty much they:

Close shop when doing something big- i.e: new addon section
Start nightlies back up when they're getting close, close enough to let the hardcore guys catch things that they might over look
Then you now your at the doorstep when they announce a feature freeze and all efforts go to squashing bugs
Then maybe an Alpha/beta
Then release

Looks like were on step 2...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
I was just curious - it seemed like all of a sudden talk about builds was allowable again after an extended 'first rule of builds is we don't talk about builds' period, but no 'official' comment was made after the one post saying don't use nightly builds.

I'm just trying to figure out what I can use and ask questions about without being told 'You shouldn't be using them', honestly Smile (and I need a DXVA2 capable build so... Smile )
You can use any official nightlies you like.

We didn't make a specific announcement as there was still quite a bit of churn going on (in particular I rewrote a lot of the video scanner, and spiff rewrote the scraper engine) which we knew would likely cause a few bugs.

I'm happy to say that I'm fairly certain those have been dealt with now. I expect you'll see a beta announcement on xbmc.org reasonably soon - there's some build issues to sort out with librtmp that's holding things back.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 10.5 - Release question0