[LINUX] Ubuntu 10.04 Geforce 8300 Judder
titbeak Wrote:Actually, im talking crap!! It is much, much better now :-)

Im still not sure whether i should remove the exit(0) from rc.local - but i can play stuff which was just unwatchable before, even on Windows!!

There are still a some moments where the error % in the stats when i press "o" rises, but its waaaay less than before.

Awesome stuff!!

I will try disable cool'n'quiet too and report back.

Cheers

Post your rc.local here. Generally, exit(0) is not necessary and if it's in there, it should be at the end of the script.

There's a GUI package that installs into Ubuntu that allows you to control the throttling (but it's reset everytime you reboot). As another poster stated, it's the throttling that kills VDPAU playback, not the actual "speed" the CPU is throttling to. The scaler is too sensitive and throttles way too often.

You can peg the CPU at the lowest scale and VDPAU playback will be fine as long as it doesn't scale if you're worried about heat/power consumption.

Cheers,
Kermee
titbeak Wrote:I have tried the cpufrequtils, and added that stuff to rc.local, but the same issue is there im afraid.

Should i remove the exit(0) at the bottom of rc.local?

Cheers

"exit 0" should be the last line of rc.local

run:
sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
what u get? should be 1400000

To disable throttling at all:
echo "performance" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

With throttling all off your cpu temp will rise a lot.
we have the same board is really strange that isn't enough in your setup.

Ahh wait I have a phenom II X710 cpu. Maybe can affect this.

As stated in nvidia forum and a lot talked here (same said by bobo1on1), when speed go under 1GHz (with dual channel memory) gpu - memory connection doesn't have enough bandwitch to run vdpau and 3d graphics with a lot of memory reqs.
titbeak Wrote:Also, i found a new option for iGPU Frame Buffer Size which i set up to 512MB from 64MB.

please don't do that, you just reserved 512MB of valuable system RAM for the unused intel integrated graphics
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thumbs Up 
Hannes The Hun Wrote:please don't do that, you just reserved 512MB of valuable system RAM for the unused intel integrated graphics

Actually, setting the IGP frame buffer size to 512MB is recommended on the ASUS M3N78-EM. The IGP is the Geforce 8300 in the North Bridge which is doing the VDPAU.

There is no Intel GPU on the board.

Cheers,
Kermee
How do I disable CPU throttling on an XBMCbuntu install? None of the cpufreq options are available.
pennant Wrote:How do I disable CPU throttling on an XBMCbuntu install? None of the cpufreq options are available.

Code:
sudo apt-get install cpufreq-utils

From the command-line/Terminal.
I get:

Code:
Setting up cpufrequtils (005-1) . . .
* CPUFreq Utilities: Setting ondemand CPUFreq governor. . .
* disabled, governor not available. . .

*EDIT*

Nevermind, I had to enable cool&quiet in the BIOS.
Sorry that I refresh this post.

I have same motherboard wiht that 4850e so I tried to do this. But I still have that issue that the movie is not smooth, it is a bit laggy, but I can't see any FPS drop. CPU usage is about 10%. I am using Lubuntu, so I can compare it with default player which can play 1080p movie, with subtitles, multilanguage etc. fluently.
I tried to fix it with google, but I haven't found the solution.
It has been 4 years since the last post, so I hope someone has solved it yet.

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Ubuntu 10.04 Geforce 8300 Judder0