SMB shares stopped working
My SMB shares stopped working recently (XBMC 9.11). While it worked before, now any time I try to open a SMB source (which is most), I get the "Modify Profile" screen. I put in the correct pw and it immediately bounces back to a blank password.

I think it may have been after upgrading both computers to OS X 10.6.4 (which I thought was supposed to fix SMB problems).

I recall that previously I had changed some settings to get SMB to work with 10.6.2 or 10.6.3, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were now.

I suspect that having those settings changed combined with the 10.6.4 update caused this problem.

The other possibility is that I inadvertently selected "Update Library" and then cancelled it (but that's a stretch).

I double checked windows file sharing was active in sys prefs.

I verified that I could connect to the SMB shares from the laptop on which XBMC is running, via the Finder. Even with a volume mounted, it does not work in XBMC (does as described above).

Anyone else having this issue? Any guesses what I might have done before? (Yeah i know, write this S*t down somewhere, right.)

edit:

I think the modification I made before was to add this to the end of my smb.conf file:
Quote:; Site-specific parameters can be added below this comment.
[XBMC]
strict locking = no
; END required configuration.

I noticed that was gone -- probably with the 10.6.4 update. I re-added it and turned off & on windows sharing and unfortunately am having the same problem still. Sad
aha, i think i'm on to something. maybe it has something to do with 10.6.4 breaking the ability to follow symlinks, apparently? my smb mount point is a folder, which contains symlinks to other drives. xmbc used to be able to follow them. now it can't.

in the finder with that sharepoint mounted, i also can't follow the symlinks. not sure if i could before, on 10.6.3.

anyone else notice anything like this??
yep indeed. mf apple.

the solution was to change:
wide links = no
to
wide links = yes

in the smb.conf file.

For more on this see:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...D=11693384

Now I remember the strict locking change resolved playing some files > 2 GB.

so those are 2 rather necessary changes to smb.conf

make sure to stop and then restart windows sharing and file sharing in system prefs.

also i note that even with above wide links change, i still can't browse symlinks on the smb share point mounted in the finder. but now they do work in XBMC, thank god.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB shares stopped working0