Using a Dreambox + NAS as PVR?
I am considering purchasing a dreambox and was wondering if the setup I'm planning is possible with this equipment.
  • I have a NAS server which I would intend to use as the PVR backend, always on

• The dreambox would be connected to the network by ethernet

• A third PC with XBMC acting as the PVR front end, often off

1) Does this setup work or do I need a TV card or can the TV info be sent to the NAS over ethernet?

2) The NAS is a very low powered device, will this be an issue, where is the decoding of the video files done?

3)With this setup will I be able to pause live TV?

4) Does it matter that the front end will not always be on? presumably once you have asked the back end to record it doesn't matter what the front end does

5) Does Myth TV suite my purposes as a backend, will it be able to control the Dreambox

6) How does this system deal with clashes, eg. someone trying to watch another channel when the backend has setup to record, does the front end deal with that?

Hope someone can help or perhaps this is more suited to the mythTV forums?

Thanks

Justin
Or maybe tuxbox can help me out, take myth out of the equation. Would tuxbox be able to record to a network drive?
Dreambox could record directly to your Server. However, it depends on the image and the model.. My DM800 and DM8000 with Infinity X can record directly on my WHS. Although, I dont do this.. I record directly to the HDD in the Dreambox(s) and stream recordings to other rooms, and view with XBMC, PS3 or Xtreamer..

To stream recorded TV Shows from your Dreambox to say XBMC or PS3 I use Infinity X and it works like a charm cause the image is DLNA Capable. I know gemini can not..

To use Tuxbox to watch live its achievable with any image on the dreambox. But you have to know that it is slow. Very slow especially when changing channels, and you can not pause live TV with tuxbox to XBMC. You can do it only on the Dreambox..

Regards,
Don't know the rest, but for:

2) Your NAS won't decode the TV signal sent to it. It will just dump the recorded stuff straight to a drive. The only time you need more power will be if you want to do use MythTVs Commercial Flagging/Skipping automatically. I find I at least want a real dual core (so a Core 2 Duo, not an Atom) to do comflagging in Myth, so I personally don't use that feature.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using a Dreambox + NAS as PVR?0