Project: TV2LAN box (+matching PVR library)
fyi for those of you wanting to implement this using an xbox only/non linux solution:

getting video into an xbox using only the microsoft provided tools seems to be nearly impossible. as far as i've been able to determine, there are no native interface in the box capable of grabbing video/audio frames. the only way i can see video getting into the xbox is through the controller ports and usb. to that end, trying to interface with such a device using the xdk is probably damned close to impossible. linux, on the other hand, can already interface with said devices and runs quite well on xboxes.

secondly, even if it were possible to get a video stream into an xbox without using linux, they aren't fast enough to perform tivo type functions. even with the assistance of the hardware encoding chip in the video grabber i use, i doubt an xbox running the microsoft kernel would be able to manage a thread receiving video, another storing the stream to disk, another running the "tivo" interface and yet another decoding another section of the stream. going beyond that, true "tivo" style functionality requires at least two video encoders. that doubles the required real-time cpu needs. i welcome any corrections to my thoughts, but i'm rather convinced that xbox pvr is not possible without using at least two boxes.

thanks,

sean
i'm a n00b to tivo and pvr in general, why the need for 2 "tuners"?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(pike @ nov. 28 2004,12:24 Wrote:i'm a n00b to tivo and pvr in general, why the need for 2 "tuners"?
one to watch and one to record at the same time.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
isn't the wintv-pvr-usb only an analog tuner ?
Big Grin 
(nhtshot @ nov. 28 2004,08:00 Wrote:why are you thinking about build this "digitalizer" box? i've currently got a functioning xbox based pvr system built around xbox-linux, mythtv and a usb tuner. instead of totally reinventing the wheel, why not build a client for mythtv into xbmc and run the capture server on an xbox using xbox linux and a couple of the usb tuners? i use the hauppage (sp?) usb pvr and it works well. i have two of them connected via xbox controller -> usb cables. they have a built in mpeg2 encoder, so  the cpu load for handling two streams is well within the xboxes abilities.  based on my results, four encoders should be manageable with a single "server" xbox.
we are talked about that in this thread bacuase that's what this thread is about, nothing else, so your discussion is off-topic for this thread.
no offence meant but if you searched you would've found that there are already other threads open for just other pvr options:

- integration of mythtv-client into xbmc? xbmc could function as the front-end? (link to development discussion).
- mythtv front-end client built-in to xbmc, xbmc could control (+stream) mythtv (link to existing feature suggestion discussion)
- python and mythtv, pure python interface to mythtv backend (link to an existing python script).

here are a few other pvr/dvr discussion that again are also off-topic for this thread:
- usb tv-turner adapters to xbox/xbmc?, including video recording features!? (link feature suggestion thread).
- mediaportal-client in xbmc (for tv-scheduling/rec), send commands to/stream from mediaportal (link feature suggestion thread)[/.
- sagetv-pvr-client support in xbmc, xbmc function as sagetv font-end (link feature suggestion thread).
- windows media center extender functionality, ms mce control. is it even possible? (link feature suggestion thread).

please respect that and keep this thread on topic, ...if you want to discuss something else (even though similar) please post in other thread!
ps! i appologuise if i come out all offensive and/or defensive in regards to this but i'm just so tired of all off-topic posts in all forum threads.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Project: TV2LAN box (+matching PVR library)0