xbmc as a service?
Hi,

I have a windows server down in the basement, holds my movie collection etc.
Then I have a few media boxes around the house that run xbmc when we need them on.

I have an android phone that can stream off xbmc using dlna which is really nice. What I am wondering is.. is there some way to run xbmc on the server that I have which has no graphics card etc and just use it for streaming?
I can use an app like firedaemon to make it run like a service.
Anyone see any issues with this?

thx
Sorry. It's a media center, not a media server. However there are some apps that do ffmpeg/x264 transcoding and segmenting on the fly.
POST deleted

EDIT: Nevermind, totally misunderstood the question.

EDIT 2: What exactly are you trying to achieve here? To run an app on the server that will serve your media to other computers or phones, etc.?

You can look into orb or tversity for computers, or Air video for iphone. . .
A real shame, its great using xbmc as a dlna server because it sorts everything into categories etc, eg when i connect to xbmc via an android phone and go to movies etc you get the categories like year etc...

Would be awesome to see xbmc being able to run on a machine with no gfx card purely for streaming (it already supports the streaming etc and the serving..)

I tried running it on the server while logged in via rdp, just crashes on starting... will look for alternatives... or just use my android phone while i have a client of xbmc running.

cheeeers
I assume this is a Windows server since you mention RDP. If you VNC to the server you should be able to run XBMC interactively then just lock the session.

JR
unless I'm mistaken you're wanting to run XBMC on your windows server to be streamed to other computers/media boxes. What kind of media boxes are you referring to? If they can run XBMC then you're better off using the server as it's meant to be. A server that holds your movies, then each media box can pull them from there. Much better and easier than trying to run one version of XBMC across multiple places.
you can also get the cheapest crappiest fanless gfx card, right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc as a service?0