• 5(current)
XBMC on new GeForce 320M unibody Mac Minis
nianhbg Wrote:I had some problems with 10.6.4 on mac mini midsummer 2010. Now when i updated to 10.6.5 it seems to be less problems

FYI, OS X Server 10.6.5 update has been pulled back to fix a major e-mail security glitch.
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
Ok.. I got curious to see what the hub-bub is about with Plex and 10.6.5.

Code:
Tron Legacy Trailer - MOV AVC MPEG4 encoded

XBMC Dharma SVN
                              CPU%                 CPU%
OS X       Quicktime       VDADecode On         VDADecode Off
--------------------------------------------------------------------
10.6.5  |    7-14%    |      91-100%      |       45-54%

PLEX 0.9.1.2
                              CPU%                 CPU%
OS X       Quicktime    H.264 HW Decode On   H.264 HW Decode Off
10.6.5  |    7-14%    |      46-64%        |       46-64%

Well.. for this test and subsequent others I couldn't see any difference between HW Decode On/Off.
the file playing is important. With "simple" mkv the difference is hard to notice. With FULL blu-ray file the frames dropped are huge.

Try playing the alice in wonderland file of 100MB posted somewhere here
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Zignal Wrote:Well.. for this test and subsequent others I couldn't see any difference between HW Decode On/Off.

Weird. I get massive benefits from turning hw acceleration on
In what? With what? On what?
RckStr Wrote:This seems to be a complicated matter. with both my 2010 unibody mac minis, Plex 9 has worked fine with hw acceleration on for both 10.6.4 and 10.6.5

The issue must not be affecting all users.

I tried Plex on my mid 2010 Mini mainly to test out the server part ( I have a Mini server but it is running 10.6.5 client). For days the Mac kept dropping the signal to my TV ( hooked up via hdmi to a Samsung). I removed Plex and everything returned to normal. Not sure what was happening. XBMC has never caused those problems so I just assumed it was Plex server.

philip
Zignal Wrote:In what? With what? On what?

Incredible decrease in cpu usage. Highest bitrate files (Bluray rips done with makemkv) plays jerky without it, plays easily with. All 1080p mkvs. affects everything using h264.
pmcd Wrote:I tried Plex on my mid 2010 Mini mainly to test out the server part ( I have a Mini server but it is running 10.6.5 client). For days the Mac kept dropping the signal to my TV ( hooked up via hdmi to a Samsung). I removed Plex and everything returned to normal. Not sure what was happening. XBMC has never caused those problems so I just assumed it was Plex server.

philip

Hard to say. works fine with my sony lcd and my benq projector. I wish there would be a pms plugin for xbmc so I could run the xbmc frontend while still having plex`s server keeping my library syncronized though.
PHP Code:
Originally Posted by Zignal  
In what
With whatOn what

RckStr Wrote:Incredible decrease in cpu usage. Highest bitrate files (Bluray rips done with makemkv) plays jerky without it, plays easily with. All 1080p mkvs. affects everything using h264.

You managed to reply to a post made solely of 3 straightforward questions without answering any of them. You must be a politician Nod
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

RckStr Wrote:Hard to say. works fine with my sony lcd and my benq projector. I wish there would be a pms plugin for xbmc so I could run the xbmc frontend while still having plex`s server keeping my library syncronized though.

Probably a combination of Plex, my TV and the Mini. Since removing Plex I have never seen that again so that does indicate something. Plex's server is neat.

philip
pecinko Wrote:
PHP Code:
Originally Posted by Zignal  
In what
With whatOn what

You managed to reply to a post made solely of 3 straightforward questions without answering any of them. You must be a politician Nod

huh? are you lost in translation?
I just bought a new mac mini specifically for use with XBMC. It came with 10.6.3 server and is asking me to update. Has this problem been resolved or should I hold off on the updates?
Hold off
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Just got two as well and both came with 10.6.4 so I am screwed until this is resolved unless I can downgrade to 10.6.3 somehow.
@RckStr - So to translate, we need some more info to help duplicate your successful results.

In What? Plex, XBMC? - I was talking about both prior. Which one?

With What? - Drop your mkv's into macmedia info, export the output, paste it to http://pastebin.com/, post the links here.

On What? - Model of Mac, OS Version, etc

You don't mention what the "Massive" cpu drops are?
10% vs. 110% ? what?

Here's an example:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=641...stcount=43

Try the Tron trailer or whatever from the Apple trailer site in that post and post the details of your successful results.

@nugentgl - I'm not near the Mini's recovery dvd's at the moment and don't recall if there's a build number on it. Wondering if there's a slight chance the recovery DVD's are still 10.6.3.

Failing that, it could still be helpful to confirm it's broken with some common media to try like the Tron trailer or something everyone might have access to. Failing that some macmedia info dumps of what works vs. what doesn't would be great to.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on new GeForce 320M unibody Mac Minis0