[xbmc live] PARTITION resize ?
I have been using XBMC on xbox for some time. LOVE IT. Seriously changed my life. With video on demand I don't watch live tv anymore instead
I can watch my shows and movies at a time that suits me.

So with 720 and 1080 starting to grow in my collection guess I better upgrade and flash out to go buy my new ion based system
and a 2TB HDD.

I get home and install the live cd and all goes well except 1080 drops frames all over the place. So back to the drawingboard.
Ok lets trash that and install full ubuntu and the nivida drivers. Same story.
Last effort I go install Xbmcfreak LiveCD 10.08 svn31632. BINGO. Out of the box perfect 1080 big smile.
Then it hit me I'm planning to have all my media on the internal HDD. If it is all on one partition and I want to
reinstall or try a new verson I lose my media unless we have a XBMC partition and a MEDIA partition.

So the question is HOW do I achieve this result?

Please note when I tried to change the partition size on install it would just fail to complete the install.
Boot a live Ubuntu CD/USB and use Gparted to repartition your drive.
thank you for the reply. im not sure how to use Gparted. got any hints for me ?
I'm a linux noob so i just downloaded an ubuntu live distro and used that, gui ftw!
deathraider Wrote:thank you for the reply. im not sure how to use Gparted. got any hints for me ?

http://tinyurl.com/329p8q9
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
gparted live cd FAIL ....
ERROR is

assertion )head_size >0) at../../../libparted/labels/dos.c:660 in function probe_partition_for_geom 90 failed.

goin to boot ubuntu see it i can get a win that way. keep you all updated.
gparted under ubuntu live cd yields same error.

so i go to reinstall the xbmc live and see if i cant get it to be stable during the install and fluke the partitions before it F@#$ up and guess what ? stalls on install 6 times in a row...

looks @ the trusty old xbox and says to himself oh how i love you.

next up date soon lets hope it is progress.
After a quick search it look likes it is a bug in parted 2.2 that gparted uses in 10.04. You could try a older live CD since it uses a older parted.
Thumbs Down 
ok my problems was solved by changing the GPT partition style back to MBR. now it installed. Still STALLED at 33% while making the partition for about 10 mins. But i walked away it flashed to 93% than it finish. thank god. still had to format it the way it wanted it to be...so i still have no media partition. back to where i started.

XBMC shoud make a meda partition with the left over space on the harddrive/pendrive it out of the box. IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

i goin to leave a back up on the NAS as this looks like a limping mess so far. lets see how long it stays up for DEEP BREATH.
THIS IS A JOKE IM LOST. ANY ONE CARE TO HELP ?

the goal is to have xbmc live installed on a small partition and have a larger media partition. i have the partitions cut up and formated.

/dev/sda1 NTFS (grub)
/dev/sda2 ext4 (live install )
/dev/sda3 LINUX-SWAP
/dev/sda4 ext4 (media)

1.not sure if /dev/sda4 is mounting at boot. dont know how to check.
2.dont know how to edit fstab to make that happen.
3. need to know if "original xbox receiver" is still supported ?

thank you in advance
I am using a 250GB hard drive in a Revo, installed the latest xbmcfreak-10.08-svn32178-lucid1.iso image

While installing XBMC and I got to the partition stage I selected manual and removed all partitions. When I set up the first partition I set the XBMC to have a 10GB partition and I gave it the name XBMC, set it as the primary partition.

I set the other 240GB to an extended partition and gave it the name MyMediaDrive

It then installed XBMC on to the 10GB partition and when it had installed it had automatically mounted the MyMediaDrive and was using that /home

Was very confused at first but seems to have all worked out, not sure what happens when a new version is released and I reinstall the 10GB partition!
deathraider Wrote:THIS IS A JOKE IM LOST. ANY ONE CARE TO HELP ?

the goal is to have xbmc live installed on a small partition and have a larger media partition. i have the partitions cut up and formated.

/dev/sda1 NTFS (grub)
/dev/sda2 ext4 (live install )
/dev/sda3 LINUX-SWAP
/dev/sda4 ext2 (media)

1.not sure if /dev/sda4 is mounting at boot. dont know how to check.
2.dont know how to edit fstab to make that happen.
3. need to know if "original xbox receiver" is still supported ?

thank you in advance

Okay, with xbmc-live installed, boot your system. Once booted, hit ctrl+alt+1 (or any number from 1-6) to drop to a terminal, log in through this (user: xbmc password: xbmc unless you changed that).

Now make the directory you want sda4 to mount at. Make it in the /media or /mnt folder.

Code:
sudo mkdir /media/somename

Enter password when prompted, then change ownership of the directory:

Code:
sudo chown xbmc:xbmc /media/somename

(note, if you changed the xbmc username enter whatever name you log in as instead of xbmc)

Now get the uuid of sda4:

Code:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Find sda4 on the list, note the long uuid chain (32 letters and numbers in five blocks). Write it down and get it right.

Open fstab for editing:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

write a line that looks like this at the end of it:

Code:
UUID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx /media/somename ext2 defaults 0 1

Where the xxxx-xxxx.... should be the exact uuid you just wrote down and /media/somename the name of the directory we created above. You could just put /dev/sda4 instead of the uuid but this way the drive will be mounted without a hitch even if something changes (like adding a new partition or what not).

EDIT: If you're unfamilar with nano, just hit ctrl+x to exit once done, answer yes to save and make sure to keep the right filename (/etc/fstab).

Finally to test, do:

Code:
sudo mount -a

This will mount everything from fstab that isn't mounted already. Your drive should now be mounted at /media/somename. Just reboot and it should mount automatically from now on.

Last note: if you haven't already put your media on the drive, I'd advice you to reformat it to ext4 instead of ext2. There's a pretty hefty speed difference between the two filesystems and no reason to use the old one that I can think of. Just remember to change the line fstab from ext2 to ext4.

That's all, hope it helps, sorry for long post.
Bump
And your reason for bumping is? rune0077 har given you a guide.
sorry had not refreshed the page when i bumped Smile
ok that sorted me OUT thank you so much for the help.
serioulsy i was lost. with out your help i had little chance of stringing that together thank you again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[xbmc live] PARTITION resize ?0