Mobo Selection
So, the mobo in my HTPC died tonight and im looking through newegg and have stumped myself with this question. I was running with a nVidia 8500 GT video card and a DVi to HDMI adapter. Should i buy a new mobo with built in HDMI and not use my video card or keep using my video card and buy a mobo with no HDMI?
hermy65 Wrote:So, the mobo in my HTPC died tonight and im looking through newegg and have stumped myself with this question. I was running with a nVidia 8500 GT video card and a DVi to HDMI adapter. Should i buy a new mobo with built in HDMI and not use my video card or keep using my video card and buy a mobo with no HDMI?

Unless you can find a mobo with hdmi and WITH integrated nvidia video, keep yours Smile Don't know if audio would work in that setup or not however. Would also help to know more details about what you want to do.

-Erik
Don't be scared to ask questions. Odds are someone else is wondering the same thing.
Closet - Norco 4020 - Supermicro X8SAX - Intel i7-920 - Corsair HX1000 - Corsair XMS3 12GB - 10x1.5tb Raid 5 - 10x2tb Raid 5 - Openfiler VM inside Workstation Win7 x64
Living room - Silverstone ML02B-MXR - Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H - E8400 - OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB - Denon 3310CI
Bedroom - Antec Mini Skeleton - Zotac IONITX-B-E @ 1.92ghz - AVS Gear HA-IR01SV - A-DATA G series 4GB - Denon 2808CI
how about this, is it better to have HDMI on the motherboard or the video card?
An HDMI on the mobo (I am assuming its a built in Nvidia GPU on the mobo, otherwise go back to the drawing board) in most cases will be better than you 8500 GT with a DVI to HDMI adaptor because the mobo has the ability to passthrough 8 channel PCM audio, while your 8500 GT (or a 9xxx series card too) can only passthrough regular DTS and AC3.

For newer Nvidia cards with HDMIs built in (the 2xx GT series) the card has a built in audio card, so that advantage doesn't apply to them...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mobo Selection0