Online help (and manual) built-into XBMC and its skins
it could be done in both. imo it'd be better to be in xbmc, as then you can access the already existing code.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

the more i think of it the better it sounds, what i would like to know is if it only sounds better in my head Wink

I know it would take some time, and i know that the online wiki needs more work and updates.

Wouldent it be nice with a online help function in xbmc ? i think this would make for a huge leap forward as long as userfriendlyness goes.

somehow the online help could be drawn from the wiki and into the skin. or something smart so we dont need to update in two places.

I still have more left of my vacation so im willing to help where i can to get xbmc out to the masses. Smile
we can always use help with the wiki pages. you'll have to request write access. it would certainly be possible to have a help dialog where we can send search criteria to the wiki and scrape the returned txt.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i see you think about some kinda search box for help, thats nice. i also tought about pressing a button to get instant "short" help for the function you tried to use inside xbmc.

say you would like to add some music to your xbmc but have no clue. you enter the music section and you see "add source". when you have that selected you could hit the magic button and up comes a info screen explaining what sources is and how it works, maybe even with a section for "FAQ" and "tips&tricks"

i understand that this seems like a large job but it would mean alott for users who are newbies and also to get new users to use xbmc. Wink
The first problem is the content. Once the content is in place (via the wiki is best IMO), then getting the interface in to XBMC is the easy bit.

I'm more than happy to advise anyone willing to write up content for the wiki if there's any parts you're not 100% sure about, and I'm also more than happy to review changes for accuracy and so on.

If you have time to contribute in this way, that would be fantastic. Register on the wiki + request ninja status and we'll hook you up.

Cheers,
Jonathan

okay i have registred as "the-boxhead" on the wiki.

I just need some time to dive into the wiki. Smile
You have ninja status now, so are free to edit the wiki. Look forward to see what you come up with.

Cheers,
Jonathan

thanks !
the first thing i see is offcourse the "Installing XBMC" section wich only contains info about the xbox. this section needs to be divided into MAC,Windows,Linux and XBOX.

just to clarify that im going about this the right way, can i just add what i feel like here ?
To a certain extent, yes. sho is the man "in charge" of the wiki, so anything reasonably large that you are planning on doing you should probably PM him.

If you're not sure, then either run it past him first, or do the changes via a separate page and update the real page when you get the goahead.

Cheers,
Jonathan

sounds logic. I pm sho then for my first edits, then take it from there Smile
Everything you do can be undone... So go moderately wild.
thats nice to know Wink

okay i did a quick edit for the sources help. please have a look and share your thoughts.

the style i write in is with the total noob in mind. so i explain everything very easy so the user doesent get confused.

then on the bottom you could have a link to FAQ and ADVANCED use as links. this would display info for the more advanced user. (i think about the online help in mind here)

remember this was a fast edit to show you the writing style. if you think this is totally wrong please advice Wink
i always get carried away, but i just tought about it. it should really be a first time wizard when you run xbmc the first time. cause when a noob user
starts it nothing will ever happen when he select stuff on the homescreen Wink

Like a wizard that guided the user trough the most important stuff like:
-setting time
-setting his location (for the wheater to display correct)
-adding a source for his music (with automatic option)
-adding a source for his movies (with automatic option)
-selecting the remote he uses

automatic mode for sources would just be to scan like the users my documents folder or whatever fits.

this is just from the top of my head, but a wizard would improve the user experience alott !
I've updated it with some grammar + typos.

Note that you've skipped a step - In the Add Source dialog you need to click on Browse to get to your files.

The-Boxhead.
These are the pages in biggest need of work atm.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keyboard_and_Mouse
Keymapping can be found in keymap.xml in the system folder.

jmarshall will have to answer on global mouse (is it configurable at all, how many buttons are supported?)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Online help (and manual) built-into XBMC and its skins0