XBMC for AsRock Core 100 HT running Ubuntu
A few days ago, I received my new AsRock Core 100 HT which I intend to use as an HTPC. Since then, I have tried installing different versions of Ubuntu, XBMC, Boxee, etc to get something that works but to no avail. There is a lot of information out there but no single place that contains everything that I need. So I decided to start a new thread in the hope that I will eventually get my HTPC working and saving time for others trying to do likewise.

Ubuntu 10.04
===========

1st, I installed Ubuntu 10.4. This was painless. Then I followed the steps from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide to install XBMC. It started going wrong at this step:

sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package xbmc

As you can see, there does not appear to be a package called XBMC.

I decided to the follow the steps detailed in the "Adding the XBMC Repo" section replacing "jaunty" by "lucid". In the Synpatic Package Manager, xbmc & xbmc-standalone still do not show up. I only see xbmc-ppa_keyring.

Boxee

Next, I decided to try Boxee. I downloaded Boxee and installed it. Installation went just fine. However I cannot start Boxee. This is what I get at the end of the log:

CApplication::Create: Unable to init rendering system

Flash:

Last but not least, I have problem running flash content on Ubuntu 10.04. YouTube videos for example start fine but as soon as I go into fullscreen, flash crashes. I could not find a fix for that one. I tried uninstalling flash and reinstalling it but that did not fix the problem.

Movie play back:

The movie player seems to work just fine, although I did not test sound as I don't have any speakers plugged in. Playback is nice and smooth which is not the case in another version of Ubuntu as you will see later.

Suspend & Hibernate:

Suspend & Hibernate don't seem to work. Both options only seem to lock the screen and bring a black screen. As soon as I move the mouse, the log-on window shows up.

Remote Control:

The remote control that comes with the computer does not seem to be recognized by Ubuntu. I can use it to start the computer but there is nothing else I can do with it. Honestly, this is the least of my problems.

Ubuntu 9.10
===========

I then decided to try another version of Ubuntu so I installed Ubuntu 9.04 (Karmic). I created a different partition so that I can either boot in Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) or Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic). Installation of Karmic was painless. However, I still could not install XBMC. It fails in exactly the same manner described above.

I installed Boxee and this time Boxee was able to start. It brings up a screen where I am supposed to enter my credentials. Initially, I thought that it crashed right there as the screen appears to be completely frozen. Using Ctrl-C, I was eventually able to kill the application. Eventually, I figured that it was not frozen but atrociously slow. It seems that I get about 1 frame every 5 seconds or so.

Flash:

I installed the flash plugin for Firefox and hold and behold, flash content plays without crashing even when I go fullscreen. Not everything is perfect as I noticed some stuttering in the playback of the videos.

Movie play back:

Movies play in this version of Ubuntu as well but there are clearly choppy. This is not happening in Ubuntu 10.04. I tried to disable Compiz as this was suggested elsewhere but that made no difference.

Suspend & Hibernate:

Suspend & Hibernate don't seem to work either. I just seem to lock the screen and I get a black screen until I move the mouse.

Remote Control:

The remote control does not work either, as expected to be honest.

Conclusion:

This is where I am at right now. I will do more googling and try suggestions that I come across but it does not look too good to be honest. I really don't want to have to shell $200 to get Windows 7. If you have any suggestion, I will defintely try them out.

Thx,
S.
http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-livecd-9-11-v14/
I got it working by compiling XBMC myself. I followed the instruction from the Wiki for that.

Now, to my next problem though. Although my TV support 1080p, I cannot get Ubuntu to select a resolution higher than 720p. This is thru HDMI. It works with Vista so I know for sure it can work. Ubuntu also supports 1080p thru the VGA out to my computer screen.
If you are new to ubuntu or linux in general, this may take some time to get used to the system and work things out. Anyway, i strongly recommend to not build the system yourself, but rather use one of the build-ppas.

Depending on how much time you want to invest and how eager you are to learn, you can go the all manual way (with the ppa's).

If you just want to get it going, i'd also suggest to go with live.

regards
If you have all software for build xbmc there is no problem.

./bootstrap
./configure
./make -j 2
./make install

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for AsRock Core 100 HT running Ubuntu0