What Platform for XBMC - Mac Mini (NEWEST MODELL) and CrystalHD? What else?
Hello all,

i am not sure if this is discussed here:

i would like to know, if i could use a mac mini (brand new of course) with xbmc and crystalhd card. This means full hd 1080p playback.

i am sure xbmc will run on it :-),
but do i have the possibility to use a crystalhd card in it (for example instead of wlan?). Did someone got it running successfully?

My Apple-TV has only 1 GHz CPU, and did not play mkv files well.
So i think about buying me a mac mini.

Another thing: The new MacMini has Snow installed. Is xbmc with crystal running in this os enviroment?

What alternatives for 1080p full hd playback with xbmc are possible?
a must is 1080p full hd playback on hdmi without adapter (dvi to hdmi or something)

OK, now, your turn, post your comments to get the best xbmc hardware with full hd playback.......
what about an imac and full hd 1080p in xbmc?

muelli

My Enviroment:
AppleTV - OS 3.0.2 -
CrystalHD
Launcher 3.2.5
why would you wanna buy a crystalhd with a new mac mini? New minis have hw accelerated x264 by default. Any mini after 2009 with xbmc will play 1080p videos without breaking a sweat. Atleast provided that the movie is x264
Hello,

i just want to discuss alternatives to appletv :-)
i did not know hat macmini can do this per default.

Muelli

My Enviroment:
AppleTV - OS 3.0.2 -
CrystalHD
Launcher 3.2.5
If you are looking for alternatives, cheapest option is an ion based nettop. You can pick up a single core acer revo for less than $200/£150 and it will do full 1080p out of the box.
muelli Wrote:i would like to know, if i could use a mac mini (brand new of course) with xbmc and crystalhd card. This means full hd 1080p playback.

No, the new MacMini does not have a mini pci-e slot so you cannot install a crystalhd card.
prae5 Wrote:If you are looking for alternatives, cheapest option is an ion based nettop. You can pick up a single core acer revo for less than $200/£150 and it will do full 1080p out of the box.

I'm curious about this setup as I have (and had0 several friends looking to get into XBMC. Some I have told to just get a refurb AppleTV for around $140 but these Ion's intrigue me.

Are there any other hardware costs involved? Remote? Wireless? More RAM? Cables?

And what is the required Linux knowledge required to get XBMC running, install additional drivers and etc.? Some of my friends need as simple as possible.

@OP - didn't you say you have an AppleTV? Why don't you just throw a CrystalHD card into it?
tuckbodi Wrote:I'm curious about this setup as I have (and had0 several friends looking to get into XBMC. Some I have told to just get a refurb AppleTV for around $140 but these Ion's intrigue me.
I have an appletv too and have given one to my parents with a crystalhd card. Personally if someone is buying new hardware I wouldn't recommend buying a appletv. Even with the broadcom card, they can still have issues with some content, but more importantly they can be quite slow in menus and struggle with newer skins, fanarts, etc... Crystalhd is great for breathing new life into existing hardware, but there are better and more cost effective options available now.

Quote:Are there any other hardware costs involved? Remote? Wireless? More RAM? Cables?
Basic single core atom model and 1gb of ram is enough for linux version of xbmc and runs like an appliance. They have wireless, but i don't use it. All cables are included. Only think you need to add is a mce remote, you can normally pick them up for less than £10/$15. If you want to run windows and use hardware acceleration, you need windows 7, dual core atom and at least 2gb (think most recommend 4gb) of ram.

Quote:And what is the required Linux knowledge required to get XBMC running, install additional drivers and etc.? Some of my friends need as simple as possible.
Pretty much zero, if you use a live cd it installs everything for you. I also recommend the openelec.tv linux image. It is a linux image built around xbmc that is about 100mb and includes everything you need - zero experience needed.

Quote:@OP - didn't you say you have an AppleTV? Why don't you just throw a CrystalHD card into it?
If you have one it will help you playback hd content, but menus, etc.. can still be a little sluggish.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What Platform for XBMC - Mac Mini (NEWEST MODELL) and CrystalHD? What else?0