• 9(current)
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail
Canbonbon,

Make sure you have a single space before each KEYBOARD... line.
This isn't a OS specific question. Does anyone know how to program the remote's volume keys so that when I press and hold the + or - volume buttons the remote repeatedly sends out the corresponding command. Right now I can only program to the remote to send out the command on a per press basis. Any help with this would be awesome
Hi guys,
can you tell me - if I can pair additional third-party bluetooth device (mouse, keyboard) with the remote dongle, while using top-side buttons of the remote at the same time?
(2014-06-16, 18:54)Talguy Wrote: This isn't a OS specific question. Does anyone know how to program the remote's volume keys so that when I press and hold the + or - volume buttons the remote repeatedly sends out the corresponding command. Right now I can only program to the remote to send out the command on a per press basis. Any help with this would be awesome

I have the same issue. Running evtest shows repeat events for most buttons, except for the 5 which can be programmed for IR (that is, TV Power, Input, Volume Up/Down, and Mute). Volume up/down are the most important to repeat, and they don't!
(2014-09-01, 21:34)ScottJ Wrote:
(2014-06-16, 18:54)Talguy Wrote: This isn't a OS specific question. Does anyone know how to program the remote's volume keys so that when I press and hold the + or - volume buttons the remote repeatedly sends out the corresponding command. Right now I can only program to the remote to send out the command on a per press basis. Any help with this would be awesome

I have the same issue. Running evtest shows repeat events for most buttons, except for the 5 which can be programmed for IR (that is, TV Power, Input, Volume Up/Down, and Mute). Volume up/down are the most important to repeat, and they don't!

Assuming you are using the Tivo Slide Pro, this remote does send the volume repeats just fine. The problem is in the SDL library. I use a build of XBMC without SDL; I like the way it works better overall, including the volume repeat.

https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/...nta-master
(2014-09-01, 22:31)presslab Wrote: Assuming you are using the Tivo Slide Pro, this remote does send the volume repeats just fine. The problem is in the SDL library. I use a build of XBMC without SDL; I like the way it works better overall, including the volume repeat.

I'm using the older TiVo Slide. I'm not even using XBMC (yet), just trying to get this talking to the OS through evdev. And in all my experiments, I've seen repeat codes from the volume buttons a handful of random times, but even then only briefly. Usually I get no repeats.
(2014-09-01, 21:34)ScottJ Wrote: I have the same issue. Running evtest shows repeat events for most buttons, except for the 5 which can be programmed for IR (that is, TV Power, Input, Volume Up/Down, and Mute). Volume up/down are the most important to repeat, and they don't!

Yea all I want it to do is send out repeated IR commands when I hold down the Volume button. For Windows, Eventghost does do well with repeating commands if a button is held down. I had to use a latching command with a timer to allow me to hold down a direction arrow so I can scroll up and down in a list vs. repeatedly pressing the up or down arrow.

(2014-09-01, 22:31)presslab Wrote:
(2014-09-01, 21:34)ScottJ Wrote: I have the same issue. Running evtest shows repeat events for most buttons, except for the 5 which can be programmed for IR (that is, TV Power, Input, Volume Up/Down, and Mute). Volume up/down are the most important to repeat, and they don't!

Assuming you are using the Tivo Slide Pro, this remote does send the volume repeats just fine. The problem is in the SDL library. I use a build of XBMC without SDL; I like the way it works better overall, including the volume repeat.

I am using the tivo slide pro, but I am not using it to control my computer's system volume. I have programmed my remote to raise and lower the volume of my receiver with window's system volume set to 100% all the time. Before I programmed the remote to send out the IR commands to my receiver I used it to control system volume via Eventghost and it worked beautifully.
(2014-09-03, 14:53)Talguy Wrote: I am using the tivo slide pro, but I am not using it to control my computer's system volume. I have programmed my remote to raise and lower the volume of my receiver with window's system volume set to 100% all the time. Before I programmed the remote to send out the IR commands to my receiver I used it to control system volume via Eventghost and it worked beautifully.

I think we have slightly different issues. I'm not using any IR, only Bluetooth.

When you were using BT, the volume repeat worked well?
(2014-09-03, 19:36)ScottJ Wrote:
(2014-09-03, 14:53)Talguy Wrote: I am using the tivo slide pro, but I am not using it to control my computer's system volume. I have programmed my remote to raise and lower the volume of my receiver with window's system volume set to 100% all the time. Before I programmed the remote to send out the IR commands to my receiver I used it to control system volume via Eventghost and it worked beautifully.

I think we have slightly different issues. I'm not using any IR, only Bluetooth.

I don't think you can use those buttons (TV Power, Mute, Input, Volume Up, and Volume Down) in bluetooth. Those are special keys that only work in IR, while the rest of them use bluetooth or the dongle.
(2014-09-03, 22:27)AnOpenElecUser Wrote: I don't think you can use those buttons (TV Power, Mute, Input, Volume Up, and Volume Down) in bluetooth. Those are special keys that only work in IR, while the rest of them use bluetooth or the dongle.

They are working in BT, they just do not repeat. I get one keydown event, then immediately a keyup event, then nothing, no matter if I hold the button or not.

For all the other keys, I get one keydown event, then repeated key-repeat events, then (when I let go) one keyup event.

However, a few random times, I've gotten one or two key-repeat events from the volume button.
(2014-09-03, 19:36)ScottJ Wrote: I think we have slightly different issues. I'm not using any IR, only Bluetooth.

Yes. When I used the stock HID driver with Windows the volume repeat worked flawlessly for adjusting windows system volume. Even with eventghost's driver I can code it to repeat based on a latch. For me I can't get IR commands to repeat
(2014-09-03, 22:56)ScottJ Wrote:
(2014-09-03, 22:27)AnOpenElecUser Wrote: I don't think you can use those buttons (TV Power, Mute, Input, Volume Up, and Volume Down) in bluetooth. Those are special keys that only work in IR, while the rest of them use bluetooth or the dongle.

They are working in BT, they just do not repeat. I get one keydown event, then immediately a keyup event, then nothing, no matter if I hold the button or not.

For all the other keys, I get one keydown event, then repeated key-repeat events, then (when I let go) one keyup event.

However, a few random times, I've gotten one or two key-repeat events from the volume button.

Update: I replaced my older TiVo Slide with the new TiVo Slide Pro and now the volume keys repeat as expected, even on BT. I use that to control my receiver volume (via IP control) and it works so smooth, much better than IR.
(2014-10-12, 22:29)ScottJ Wrote: Update: I replaced my older TiVo Slide with the new TiVo Slide Pro and now the volume keys repeat as expected, even on BT. I use that to control my receiver volume (via IP control) and it works so smooth, much better than IR.

The Slide Remote Pro isn't Bluetooth is it? I thought it used its own proprietary RF (and needs a specific Tivo USB dongle) to communicate, rather than Bluetooth? (The old non-Pro model used Bluetooth ISTR)
(2014-10-21, 16:28)noggin Wrote: The Slide Remote Pro isn't Bluetooth is it? I thought it used its own proprietary RF (and needs a specific Tivo USB dongle) to communicate, rather than Bluetooth? (The old non-Pro model used Bluetooth ISTR)

Oh. That's possible. I'm using the included USB key in HID mode so it works the same as the old model for me.

So far it works much better than the old model. All the keys repeat as expected, and the USB key doesn't fall off the bus anymore like the old one liked to do. Controlling receiver volume (via IP from my PC) through this remote is so smooth, much better than the sluggish Harmony 900 I was using previously, which was always overshooting and lagging behind my button presses.

Only problem so far is that opening or closing the slide sends the exact same code as pressing the TiVo button. In evtest, they are identical. The only way I can see to distinguish them is to measure the time difference between press and release, and if they're close enough, assume it's the slider and not the button. Ugly.
Hi guys,

I have recently done a fresh install of XBMCLive on my HTPC (Zotac) and I am using the TiVo Slide (The discontinued older version)

After following the instructions in WiKi, I had to find out that they are a bit outdated, due to the new version of Ubuntu. Anyway, after reading this thread here, I could get it to work. I am writing a walkthrough for guys like me, who still owns the good old TiVo Slide and not willing to give it up until it gives up. But until then I wanted to write down the few important points. If somebody does the update, at least they have something to start with, until a proper walkthrough is written or in case I forget all what I have done.

1) You should follow the WiKi up until 4.3 (If you don't know how to use evtest, you can google it. It is pretty straight forward)

2) At this point, after successful pairing, your remote should work in a somewhat reduced capacity, meaning that some buttons should already work. (SELECT etc. does not work yet, hence the next step)

3) Instead of the first part in 4.4 in WiKi for mapping the keys, look up the Post #108 (thank you presslab) and create the file as it is described there.
- If you are using the older version of the remote like myself, the first line should look like "keyboard:usb:v150Ap1201*" because this is the code for the old remote. (See below)
- The new remote has the code 1203 and presslab is using that one. So careful if you just want to copy and paste.
- Also as stated in the post #118 (Thanks to Ould) you should leave a space on each line before "KEYBOARD_KEY".

4) The second part of 4.4 in WiKi should include the new name of the file that you created in Step 3 (See below)

5) Don't forget the "udevadm hwdb --update" afterwards, before you reboot your XBMC.(I am not sure if this is absolutely necessary, but I am just a linux newbie)

6) Actually you can skip 4.5 in Wiki if you are just trying to get your remote to work. I am experimenting on an alternative keyboard.xml, so that all of the buttons on the remote has a function.

Here is my experimental keymap: (Please note that the spaces are trimmed automatically here)

Code:
keyboard:usb:v150Ap1201*
# It is important to have a single space before KEYBOARD_KEY and no empty lines.
# http://hal.freedesktop.org/quirk/quirk-keymap-list.txt (List of available key codes in Linux)
# http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard (What keys do in XBMC / can be modified via KeyMap)
#
# Linux Commands for editing this file and then forcing an update
# sudo nano /etc/udev/hwdb.d/95-tivoslide.hwdb
# sudo udevadm hwdb --update
# sudo reboot
#
# Remote
#
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0030=s                  #POWER -> SHUTDOWN MENU
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0041=enter              #SELECT -> ENTER
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006d=backspace          #ZOOM -> Backspace
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c008d=c                  #GUIDE -> RIGHT-KLICK
KEYBOARD_KEY_0C0209=i                  #Info -> i (Info Menu)
KEYBOARD_KEY_ffff003e=fn_f10           #LIVE-TV -> Action(PVR)
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b0=space              #Play -> Play/Pause
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b1=space              #Pause -> Play/Pause
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00f5=stop               #SlowMotion -> Stop
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b3=fastforward        #FASTFORWARD -> FastForward
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b4=rewind        #REWIND -> Rewind
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00e9=fn                 #Vol Up -> Nothing [IR-Sonos]
KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00ea=fn                 #Vol Down -> Nothing [IR-Sonos]
#
# Integrated Slide keyboard
#
KEYBOARD_KEY_070059=1                #NumPad 1 -> 1
KEYBOARD_KEY_07005a=2                #NumPad 2 -> 2
KEYBOARD_KEY_07005b=3                #NumPad 3 -> 3
KEYBOARD_KEY_07005c=4                #NumPad 4 -> 4
KEYBOARD_KEY_07005d=5                #NumPad 5 -> 5
KEYBOARD_KEY_07005e=6                #NumPad 6 -> 6
KEYBOARD_KEY_07005f=7                #NumPad 7 -> 7
KEYBOARD_KEY_070060=8                #NumPad 8 -> 8
KEYBOARD_KEY_070061=9                #NumPad 9 -> 9
KEYBOARD_KEY_070062=0                #NumPad 0 -> 0
KEYBOARD_KEY_070052=up            #Keyboard Up -> Up
KEYBOARD_KEY_070051=down        #Keyboard Down -> Down
KEYBOARD_KEY_070050=left             #Keyboard Left -> Left
KEYBOARD_KEY_07004f=right            #Keyboard Right -> Right
#
# Repository for Keys
#
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006c=               #A (YELLOW)
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0069=               #C (RED)
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006a=               #D (GREEN)
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c006b=               #B (BLUE)
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c0083=            #INPUT
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c00b2=            #Record
# KEYBOARD_KEY_ffff003d=        #TiVo-Button
# KEYBOARD_KEY_ffff0042=        #thumbs-Up
# KEYBOARD_KEY_ffff0041=        #thumbs-down
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c009c=            #CHUP -> VOLUME UP
# KEYBOARD_KEY_0c009d=            #CHDN -> VOLUME DOWN

And here is the entry in rules.d:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="input", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="150a", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="1201", RUN+="/lib/udev/keymap $name /etc/udev/hwdb.d/95-tivoslide.hwdb"

- I have disabled the volume up and down by assigning them to FN, since I am using a Sonos-Soundsystem, and I taugh these buttons the IR-Code for Sonos, which is basically the same as my TV.
- After completing the step 1 as described above, I discovered that the buttons "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" are assigned to volume up and volume down, in a repeated manner, meaning press and hold, and volume goes up or down. Just for the fun of it, I tried the same with the volume buttons but they don't really repeat the signal if you press and hold. Actually a confirmation of what ScottJ and AnOpenElecUser wrote.
- I am still trying to understand this whole keyboard and mapping stuff. I want to be able to wake up (or power on) my HTPC via Remote. Any help regarding this issue is appreciated.
- And again thanks to all of the contributors here.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluetooth TiVo Slide Remote with QWERTY keyboard / keypad finally goes retail3