[WINDOWS] Multi desktop use
Hi guys.

I'm new to the forums so I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

What I was wondering was, has anyone managed to set-up XBMC in a way on Windows 7 so that it displays on a TV or monitor etc on start up straight away but still have the ability to remote into the computer (whether it be through VNC or another means) and use the computer normally. Whilst it is being used would it be possible to have XBMC still being displayed on the TV playing a movie or on the homescreen without showing what is happening while the remote session is happening? Has anyone managed to do this? Could anyone point me towards a guide or software to make this happen? I thought the easiest way to do it was to use a multidesktop software and then find a way too remote into each desktop on their own, this way the XBMC desktop would not be interrupted? Is something like this even possible? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If I haven't made sense I'll try to explain further! Thank you to anyone in advance.
CalBoy
"logmein" allows for the choice of screen to be controlled, unlike RDP which forces everything onto one screen

so if you run xbmc on monitor 2 and login in remotely with logmein, you will be given control on monitor 1 with the ability to switch to monitor 2 if necessary. I havent tried this myself whilst xbmc is running because i only ever login remotley when im not at home and if im not at home, im not using xbmc.

Logme in is totally free and i personally prefer it over RDP because it doesnt squash all my screens together and ruin my designer desktop.

NOTE - ("logmein free" does not support sound)

RBX
Hi!

This is absolutely possible - using a little hack.
I did this myself a week ago and it worked just fine!

I now have my HTPC running XBMC on my TV and I am typing this on the same computer via Remote Desktop - running a different user.
I believe I read that it is even possible to run two different sessions with the same user(!) - but it just felt more logical to have one XBMC-user with XBMC in the startup folder and another admin account which I could use to manage everything.

Try this: http://www.blogsdna.com/4560/how-to-enab...-7-rtm.htm

By the way - I had to add a delay of five seconds to the XBMC startup shortcut. Otherwise the XBMC startup was interrupted by something and got minimized. To do this, right-click on the startup shortcut and select properties. In the Target field - put this:
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 5
Thanks for the replys guys!
Sweet. That multi remote session could do the trick!
Do you know if it still reconnects old sessions? So if I use that method to connect to a machine and then end the session, if I log in at a later time using the same account will it continue the same session or begin a totally new one?

Thank you both for the help
CalBoy
Yes! It works just like Remote Desktop sessions usually do. :-)
That is - it reconnects to the active session.
Great thread...i've been wondering this myself. It's a pain in the ass when I go to the htpc and the desktop is screwed up. Also having to log in since the remote session logs you out is annoying. Will try the Windows workaround later tonight.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Multi desktop use0