unable to read ape and mpc tags?
these days i'm migrating from a win7 samba share with local sqlite database to a remote ubuntu server nas with a mysql shared database for all of my xbmcs, so i'm refreshing all the databases and noticed that my music db was missing something... investigating, i found that i was missing all the ape and mpc songs (i miss another 3 discs, bot couldn't find out what they are yet, as i'm searching a 2000+ folders share)
what i tried was to navigate in file view to the ape folder and enter it: all the files were without any tag according to xbmc even if i can correctly see it with any other program
this is what happens with a linux xbmc... just the same happens with a win installment, it goes to the folder, doesn't find any tag and reports just the filenames, without adding to the database, of course
what's up?
if needed, here is a log entering an ape and a mpc folder and reading the infos in debug mode

btw, i forgot to write the versions i'm using
it's R33209 (from xbmc nightly) under win and R33173 (which i built myself) under linux
Does it display the tags from the files in file mode? Can you play them fine, and does it display the tags while playing them?

You might want to provide one of the files so that someone else can test.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

it is in file mode that i entered the folder, it wasn't shown at all in the library
i really don't think it's something with the tag, as NO ape NOR any mpc is scanned when in library mode, so must be something else
btw, i enabled the prioritiseapetags in advancedsettings.xml but nothing at all changed
you've got pm for the other stuff Smile

btw, they used to show just fine before i upgraded the database to mysql, so they were scanned when i added them to my music database, i guess at least one year ago... what changed in tag reading?
It'll be useful if you answered all my questions.

Do they play?
Do they list OK with tags etc. in file view?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

the mpc play just fine in file view
they show without any tag, just with the filename, in fileview
here is a log from trying to play an ape file, it looks like xbmc thinks it's mp3 but can't decode it, even if it somehow reads the tag (even if it's not shown in file infos)
here is another log from an mpc file, it sees the metadata but doesn't show it in file info, and the file is correctly rendered as mpc
and here is another log from a correctly detected ape file, again not shown in the library as the metatag isn't read during library scan
if you need anything else... Smile
I guess that may explain why xbmc is displaying the ID3v1 tags in my .mp3 and not the APEv2 tags?

Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, 2.6.35-power3-generic i686).
Built on Aug 23 2010 (SVN:33040)

This is both in the library, as the file is playing and file view. They play fine

My music is tagged with Foobar2000 with both ID3v1 (for compatibility purposes) and APEv2.

Find a sample (5.5kb) in my Dropbox.
http://db.tt/13T7wdw

Debug Log http://xbmc.pastebin.ca/1927901
yes, i think that's it... i noticed that many titles in my music have 'cut' titles, and i guess that's depending on id3v1 being read instead of id3v2 or apev2
but, why in the first log the file is being recognized as mp3 even if it's an ape file?
Are you positive they are APE? Xbmc detects them as MP3 and plays without problem? Can you verify this in another program? It could be the wrong extension.

Our logs show "DllLibApeTag: Using libapetag library". So xbmc sees our files have APE but doesn't display them.
no, one is ape for sure, xbmc opens it as mp3 (look at the first log) but sound is just garbage
another is ape, is recognized as ape and plays file (third log)
the second one is an mpc file played correctly as mpc
in all three cases, no tag is shown
now i'm converting all ape and mpc files to flac, as it seems to work ok with full tag reading

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unable to read ape and mpc tags?0