[Dharma Beta 1] Artefacts and noise with DXVA2
CyberEvil, chances are you're seeing the nvidia dynamic contrast thingie. Try disabling it in the driver.

BigBlack, the post processing only has an effect with software decode. Zilch with dxva.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Crystal: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank youuuuuu!!!!

Spent weeks trying to find out what was the problem, reinstalled drivers, tweaked the whole world... nothing worked and you gave me the exact solution!

I missed totally the dynamic contrast checkbox. Thanks again!

Now, I will try to get rid of some huge squares. Do you know if I can set ffdshow with DXVA for XBMC, or at least some interlacing method with native enabled?

Thanks!!!
Crystal I found the problem was the monitor frequency option... The one under DXVA. Now no red line in my movies...

However how I can find the best settings to upscale my movies? I had to modify them in each movie I see? There are some suggested settings?

I've an ATI with only DVI and not HDMI... Sapphire X1600
EDIT: Sorry I just checked some posts and it turns out I was wrong.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
@CrystalP, did you say the XBMC 'DVXA' code is based on ffmpeg? Does ffmpeg have hw-accel ? (I didn't realize.) And, MPC-HC uses different code than XBMC? Is there a way for XBMC to use the same base as MPC-HC? (I really prefer not to use an ext player as I frequently pause and/or exit from videos; I have little kids :p )

Finally, is the DSplayer branch discontinued now that the main DVDplayer is getting DXVA support?

P.S. The main problem I have is that all my home movies are 1080i and the current XBMC DXVA doesn't support de-interlacing. But there's another thread already discussing that...
CrystalP Wrote:Do the problems happen for VC-1 rips, or H264 as well?
For me they do.
I have a few 1080P AVC1 movies that give problems on a Radeon 38xx series card (UVC+). The artefacts aren't as bad as some of the screenshots i've seen, but the quality decrease is very noticable and annoying.
The same movies on another machine with an Nvidia 8800GT card don't give any problems whatsoever, so it's not errors in the actual movie.
Without DXVA the movies look fine, but most movies drop frames (Earth 1080P is a very good example of this [the birds scene springs to mind]) cus I only have a dual core cpu in that machine...

Reading this I'm afraid I have to get a new card for my XBMC machine...
Please post the media info of the file and a debug log that shows you playing the file.
I'll assume you're on Dharma final and have the latest drivers etc...

As you gathered from this thread, UVC+ and the 3xxx series have limitations but they should be detected and dxva should not be used in these cases.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I was running AMD 3800+ and ATI 3450, and had the problem, got fed up at switched to a Nvidia GT240 problem gone. The material was bluray rips both VC1 and AVC. Specifically I tested movie Cars, and Alpha Dog.

So my understanding of the issue is this. This is a FFmpeg issue, that has been patched(backported) to Dharma by a switch disabling DXVA if a certain GPU is detected?(in my case the 3450) Is that where we are?

What I find weird about the whole thing... When DVDplayer very first got DXVA some time this year, the 3450 gave a black, white, green screen(I forget which). I started using DSplayer to use working DXVA filters for playback. I would update a nightly build every week or 2 and see. There was a period where DVDplayer was working fine on the above material, at which point I didn't mess with XBMC until beginning of December when I downloaded a Dharma RC and its basically unwatchable with DVDplayer.

So at some point, at least from what I'm hearing, is that FFmpeg was updated in XBMC build sometime in the fall probably that broke 3450. I've been watching this thread for awhile and I'm having a hard time with this for some reason. I've read numerous threads about UVD+ and about L4.1 or improperly encoded AVC and so on. What I don't get is that all bluray m2ts L4.1 exhibit the problem. They play fine in every player i.e MPC-HC, even the awful WindDVD and Power DVD's of the worlds, for the love of all things holy the microsoft DTV-DVD decoder works fine. If this is a bug in FFmpeg it is a blatantly obvious one, how does this get missed, for a card that has worked for ages with bluray material?

I have used XBMC since the original xbox(still do actually), the AppleTV, XBMClive, basically the whole lot and this is far and away the silliest problem I have seen. Can someone enlighten me as what we think the problem is? Like I mentioned DSplayer worked fine as a work around for this(someone complied a recent build), but I just got an Nvida card to clear up the issue.

So my question is: are we waiting for a FFmpeg fix, and XBMC fix, or just satisified it's old hardware that use to play bluray, but is now outdated and moving on? Thanks for any replies. Big Grin
@aicjofs,

I looked into this sometime ago (earlier within this thread) as I have an ATI card that is UVD+ and uses AGP. From the testing I did there was definitely a threshold (with respect to resolution and the frame ref) that the card couldn't play irrespective of the player I used. For the most part I used MPC-HC to compare with XBMC. There were definitely some files that would play better in MPC-HC but in terms of artefacts and pixilation, with the problematic files I got the same result with DXVA enabled in MPC-HC as I did in XBMC.

I read in one of the AMD forums that the formula for the threshold of UVD+ appears to be:
Resolution x * Resolution y * Reference frames < 10000000

That certainly appears to be the case for me.

How do your media files fit with the above formula?
I started a thread (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=703743) about my son's laptop which has an ATI 3670 and someone pointed me to this thread.

So let me re-ask the question above, is this a bug that is being worked on and tracked somewhere? I wouldn't really consider this old hardware as I bought the laptop last Christmas and it has a bluray drive in it.
@CrystalP (or anyone else who knows) - is there a tract ticket on the Nvidia FF - artifacting issue I can follow?

thank you!
What is the Nvidia FF, what does it stand for ?

Anyway, almost everything runs perfect on an Ati 5770, but when I play 720p MKV anime files with subs I've got som strange white glitches, but in other files I don't have this problem, even 1080p's mkv with subs...

If I put the render method to "software" I don't have these glitches, only when I put this to Pixel Shader. DXVA2 is on. running 1080p in 24hz fullscreen.

But when I skip back to the same part where I had these glitches they don't appear anymore, but come later.

These glitches is as if the graphics card is broken, but it is not. I already replaced it with the same model.

I use latest ATi driver, win 7 64bit en dharma 10.0 official release.

Maybe it's the same problem as with the newer Nvidia's ? (gts 450+++)
NVIDIA FF = Fast forwarding in a 1080p movie when you own a NVIDIA ION GPU box results in artifacts on the screen until the computer 'catches up' - or reaches a key-frame as I understand it.

Also, seen when skipping forward and back.
Ah ok, I had this to on my onboard 9400gs, that's why I put in an ati 5570, lucky it wasn't an ION, so I had the possibility of adding an extra gfx card

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Dharma Beta 1] Artefacts and noise with DXVA20