I want my NAS to also be my XBMC. Is this sensible?
danz0l Wrote:Whats the benefit of running unraid OS in favour of any other linux flavour ? Is it just the software raid options (which with 5TB of data already would make an expensive option for me to mirror).

With unRaid you have 1 parity drive that has to be as big or bigger than your largest drive. The rest can be any combination of size and/or type. There are tons of posts on here and the unraid forums on what unraid has going for it.
cheers,

crazyivan
So i would only need 1 2TB drive (the size of my largest) and that would give me some backup potential if any of the array of harddrives goes down ?
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
danz0l Wrote:So i would only need 1 2TB drive (the size of my largest) and that would give me some backup potential if any of the array of harddrives goes down ?

Yeah, if you lost a drive you just pop in a new one and the data would get rebuilt. In my case if I ever populate all 21 drives I'd still only have 1 2TB drive "wasted" as parity.
cheers,

crazyivan
Oh now thats something seriously to consider. What about for existing drives with data on, how would that work ? Would i have to migrate them to unraid ?
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
danz0l Wrote:Oh now thats something seriously to consider. What about for existing drives with data on, how would that work ? Would i have to migrate them to unraid ?

Looks like there's a FAQ entry for it. This is another great feature of unraid: it has a large and helpful user community behind it where most questions have already been answered.
cheers,

crazyivan
Thanks mate, will give it some serious attention
-= My Media Centre =-
I can't wait to get some new drives and try this out... come on birthday get here fast only 20 more days

-=Jason=-
What setup are you going for jason ?
-= My Media Centre =-
unRaid using my old desktop with an and athlon xp3000 cpu 1 gig of ram , I need to get a sata PCI card though , and possibly a IDE to CF so I can install it on the CF card

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:I can't wait to get some new drives and try this out... come on birthday get here fast only 20 more days

-=Jason=-

haha, I have 11 days till mine where I'm hoping I get enough money to buy myself a small ION computer for the start of my post Xbox XBMC adventure
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
well i'm pretty sure i'm going to go for the antec p183 or p193 case now for my server. Thats a start Smile
-= My Media Centre =-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I want my NAS to also be my XBMC. Is this sensible?0