External subtitle (.SRT) support with Mezzmo
Hi XBMC,
First of all, thanks for all your effort to deliver such a good software.

I am now using XBMC as player connecting to Mezzmo 2.1.8.

Most of my videos have external subtitle files, mostly are SRT files.

But the subtitle is not showing on XBMC playback.

The SRT file has the same name as video file and locates at the same folder as video file on DLNA server with mezzmo installed (a Windows 7 PC).

I have checked with Mezzmo. They said Mezzmo tells the player that it has substitles in SRT/SUB when the player asks to get a file list. After that it's up to the player whether to request subtitles from Mezzmo or not.

Any comment is appreciated.
It would be useful to the guys that handle the UPnP stuff if you could find out how Mezzmo tells the player that subs are available.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i just asked Mezzmo. It is basically part of the <item>, like this:

&lt;res protocotolInfo=&quot;http-get:*:text/srt:*quot;&gt;http://192.168.0.65:53168/content/all*pn...t;/res&gt;

And Mezzmo is willing to adjust it for XBMC if you can tell what you expectes to receive.
Right, the problem is that UPNP defines no means to handle external subtitles. Each served UPNP item has no relation to another even if they happen to be in the same container.

Also filenames in UPNP have no meaning since they are really use some way to get ahold of the resource and need not follow any standard (-> we can't assume anything about filenames)

Now... If the server did provide the subtitles as some alternate resource on the same mediaitem they belong to then maybe we could add some support for it.

So that the server figures out what subtitle files should be linked to a movie file, and the same mediaitem that has resources for the movie, also has a resource for the subtitle. (maybe that is what you are saying).

What is important here is that they should not be two separate items, it should be one movie item, with one resource for video/audio and one for subtitle.

Ps. We don't support this right away, but this is the best way i can think of for upnp servers to serve subtitles for movies.

/Joakim
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

elupus,
Thanks for your input.

Currently, Mezzmo has implemented subtitles as a resource. As you can see in my previous post, <res> is already a part of a larger <Item> which fully describe the file. In this larger <Item>, both resource for movie and resource for subtitle are included.

Could you please help to try Mezzmo at your side to see what it offers to XBMC when subtitle is available?

Thanks.
gulite:
Nice finally somebody that's doing it right. Will have a look at it when I can. Is the software available for anyone?

Thanks. Mezzmo has 15-day trial version.

http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/default.asp
Right.. have a working patch for .srt's but it's not fully too my liking. It would fail for vobsubs for example with both a .ifo and a .sub file.

what do you think for this issue? is it because vobsub's nature or Mezzmo's defect?

If you need to check with Mezzmo, I can help to ask.
I got information from Mezzmo as following:

SUB files are advertised with a "text/sub" MIME type.

Maybe this is the problem?
Hi Joakim,
Could you please share with me the one working wirh SRT? I can help to try it. And did you see my previous post which has the feedback from Mezzmo.

Thanks.
Current svn and upcoming Dharma has support for srt's, vobsubs may work by chance depending on how the url are configured. Vobsubs will be hard to get to work in any reasonable way since we need to link multiple files together.

If upnp had a way to name each resource, that could have been used. But sadly it doesn't provide any such means by default.

Thanks Joakim.

Glad to see SRT support was included. I will try it with next release.

At present, at my side, SRT is more widely used.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External subtitle (.SRT) support with Mezzmo0