I've tried the MCE remotes
* they are ugly
* not ergonomic (subjective opinion)
* No qwerty

I currently use the PS3 remote
* setting this up is a major PITA
* using bluetooth is a headache
* doesn't work 100%
* every time I think ... ok I'm done... something ends up not working quite right... high battery consumption... bluetooth doesn't connect 100% of the time, etc.
* No qwerty keyboard

I've considered using the Logitech bluetooth dinovo mini but I don't want to deal with bluetooth. And that thing doesn't really feel right to me (needs cover to be flipped open... too easy to hit qwerty keys when using directional keys.)

arghhhhhh!

Does anyone know if the boxee remote is going to be sold separately? This would be ideal for me.

If not, does anyone have suggestions for a good looking, ergonomic, non-bluetooth RF remote with qwerty keypad?

TIA.
not the answer your looking for, but how about a Bluetooth keyboard paired with the remote in my signature.

IR or RF works all my equipment, and even controls my lighting

-=Jason=-
Also not a terribly helpful response, but I'm in the same boat as you - frustrated with the remotes. I don't want a Logitech, yet everything else seems to suck. I'm hopeful that either the Boxee remote or the Tivo Slide will be good. The Boxee remote doesn't have volume or power buttons though, and also doesn't do IR. Tivo Slide does both RF and IR (though I'm confused as to whether it can do it simultaneously). Ugh.
+1

Agree about the MCE remotes - they tend to look bargain bucket... Harmony remotes are also pretty naff... lovely feel/quality but not easy to setup correctly and I hate to say it... lag!
Philips is in the process of releasing a querty remote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/phili...active-pe/
Look at the Rii mini: http://usb.brando.com/rii-mini-wireless-...34d15.html
I kinda like my lenovo remote (although not backlit grrrrr) because the dinovo mini went on my nerves, but I'm gonna buy the boxee remote as soon as I can get hold of it
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks for the suggestions. One of my requirements is that everyone (including guests) can use my HT setup. Unfortunately this removes the more geeky remotes from the running (Rii mini in particular that I sort of like the look of even though it suffers from the same ergonomic issues as the dinovo mini)

The remotes I like (Philips, Boxee) are still vaporware...
If you want guests (aka non nerds) to use the setup forget all these nerdy remotes. Just get a Harmony (and one of those awesome big HP IR receivers) and make it so all the hard stuff (aka the stuff you need a keyboard for) is mapped to some button.

Anything harder than a Harmony for non-nerds is the fastest way to HTPC failure. Nothing even comes close for ease of use, because YOU do all the work when you program the Harmony!

I get you want a keypad for yourself, I would just add a small bluetooth keyboard for that purpose. Any remote with a keyboard on it for non-nerds will have them asking "Uhh....how do I just play a normal DVD instead?" in no time....

For those who say the Harmony has a bad lag, either:

-You have the wrong IR receiver (really only the big ugly HP one works well for that)

or

-You didn't do this:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Harmon...ing_Delays

I use Harmony 880's throughout the house using an IR distribution system, and I've never experienced any lag......

I agree with Poofyhairguy - if you want guests to be able to use your system, don't go with a fancy/complicated remote with QWERTY. Get a 'simple' remote that is easy to use, and keep the fancy remote for yourself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote. (mostly a rant)0