low quality of wma radio stream
Hi All,

DISCLAIMER: I am a new user

I would be happy If you could help me solve this little problem, so I can listen to radio and my mp3's in XBMC.

I have succeeded in streaming radio in XBMC by creating a STRM file.

Contents of STRM file:
mms://wmscr1.dr.dk/e02ch03m?MSWMExt=.asf

When opening the STRM file, the radio stream plays for a second, then stops and starts buffering for several seconds, and then playing normally. The audio quality is quite horrible compared to the same stream playing in Windows media player 12. Even my girlfriend can tell the difference.

i suspect this is related to the WMA format, because the other radio channels in other formats sound just fine.

Is there any way to increase the quality?

I have read through the xbmc log file (but I am not an expert or a programmer), and the interesting part is about 18:57:56.

http://pastebin.com/TWU8JzeT

It looks there is 3 streams at the server, and that XBMC selects the 32 kbit/sec steam, which is bad quality, compared to the 128 kbit/sec I was expecting.

I also tried opening the same radio channel in the ListenLiveEU plugin, and it also sounds crappy there.

Kind regards,
Dejan

DHARMA beta 2
Windows 7 (no servicepack, fully updated from windows live update)
Intel Atom CPU
Nvidia ION GPU, driver from NVIDIA, version 8.17.12.5896
sound card, driver from NVIDIA, version 1.0.0.59
2 GB RAM
Update: As suspected, it looks like the stream I am trying to play, is a multiple bitrate stream. How do I instruct XBMC to use the higher bitrate version (128 kbit/sec)? It seems the default is XBMC choosing the lower bitrate stream.
The problem is well described elsewhere,

http://www.itdp.de/mplayer-users/2005-01/msg00207.html

but I can't locate any instructions for fixing it in XBMC. It is definitely related to the WMA(v2), which allows for creating several bitrate versions of the same stream.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
low quality of wma radio stream0