Wanting to start a HTPC project
Hey everyone, I would really like to setup a HTPC but I get lost with all the options out there! I would like my HTPC to have HDMI, would like it to be able to handle BlueRay from a HD, and would like it to take the place of my current blueray player. By that I mean that I would like it to play movies from a HD and well as be able to throw in a dvd/blueray and watch it that way. Is this possible? What are my options? I have read through some of the post and have seen that somw say it can't handle blueray playback, but see people talking about blueray in others and it has me confused!

Thanks in adavnce for any input!
Quicksilver2002 Wrote:Hey everyone, I would really like to setup a HTPC but I get lost with all the options out there! I would like my HTPC to have HDMI, would like it to be able to handle BlueRay from a HD, and would like it to take the place of my current blueray player. By that I mean that I would like it to play movies from a HD and well as be able to throw in a dvd/blueray and watch it that way. Is this possible? What are my options? I have read through some of the post and have seen that somw say it can't handle blueray playback, but see people talking about blueray in others and it has me confused!

Thanks in adavnce for any input!

You might like the new silent Shuttle XS35GT. Add a slimline Blu-ray reader for reading discs:
http://breden.org.uk/2010/09/22/shuttle-...nter-htpc/
My personal feeling is that it is a waste to try to play Blu Ray Disks from a HTPC, especially a XBMC one. Blu Ray is designed to be a "bag of hurt," that is why I always rip my disks to a NAS as soon as I get them.

Actually playing the disks themselves in a HTPC will cause you more pain and suffering than its worth. I recommend if you want to play Blu Ray disks to invest in a stand alone player. Often they can be just as cheap as Blu Ray roms, and if you get the right one (I love my Samsung) it will compliment a XBMC box by doing what a XBMC box sucks at (namely Netflix streaming).

Take out the playing Blu Ray disks requirement, and an ION box plus XBMC Live would do the trick.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wanting to start a HTPC project0