• 2(current)
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database)
imo a my tv section would be a great addition to xbmc. jslawler is currently working on a tv guide for xbmc which is coming along quite nicely (there is a thread about it elsewhere). in the future i could see a suitable home for his work in a my tv section. i think the key to doing something this big would be in realizing that it won't come over night and it will take time to develop something like this.

i think a good starting point would be creating the windows for the section and getting the basic file system elements working disregarding anything fancy at first. so you would essentially have a my tv button on the home screen and the ability to freely roam local and remote shared directories.

once that is in place someone could experiment with different methods of media management and implement the "scan" feature to create a database of your tv media and supply a few different views. those of you who were around when all the changes were going on with different views in videos and music will remember this took time and it went through a few different phases before we ended up with our current views (which are perfect imo!Wink

realizing that it doesn't stop there, i think it was spiff who was writing code to get info from tvtome, now tv.com, i could see this kind of feature being added at this point. not sure how exactly this would work and distinguish one season and episode from the other. we might need to establish a file naming convention to make it work properly, but there's a lot of other work to be done first.

i could see the tv guide being developed by jslawler finding a happy home in a my tv section after everything else was done. the reason i say this is if there was enough interest in getting live tv in xbmc to the masses, there could potentially be interfaces with other projects like mediaportal (extremely friendly to beginners all the way through advanced users) and mythtv. there are already a few python scripts out there that establish this kind of connectivity, but i think it is time for live tv to make it's way to the masses through being a default feature! Smile

the above features will be a lot of work, and this would be a rather huge project, but when you put everything into context and look at everything xbmc can do now that it couldn't do 6 months ago, this project would need developer interest more than anything else and it could be a reality.

i have spoken to jslawler about possibly developing a my tv section and he has expressed interest in it. :kickass: please realize this will be a huge project and it will take more than one developer to make it a reality. also, i wouldn't expect the official team to make something like this a priority as there is still more work to be done in other existing parts of xbmc. this means this would be a great place for anyone with the skills to start coding for xbmc, especially if you really want to show off what you can do in hopes of being asked to be an official developer! if you have the skills and want to start working on making this a reality, please get in contact with me, you can email me at [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] or just send me a pm.

regards,
los93sol
(los93sol @ aug. 20 2005,21:48 Wrote:not sure how exactly this would work and distinguish one season and episode from the other. we might need to establish a file naming convention to make it work properly, but there's a lot of other work to be done first.
i think there is a simple solution to this. epguides.com uses standard season end episode numbers, not like tv.com which names episode one of season 2 as 25 (if there was 24 eps in season 1). then you could just filter out everything but the numbers from the filename, so that s02e01 becomes 0201 and then remove the first digit if it is a 0. then you have 201 which is what epguide uses and they link each episode to the correct tv.com ep info page so it can easly be retreaved.

i would love to help anyway possible but my programming skills are limited (only read java :/)...
Quote:i agree this would be ideal, but of course after clicking what series the season list should appear, since like the simpsons consist of 17 season x 24 eps it would make a long list...

then you could have it so that when you clicked on a show it takes you to a list of the seasons, then click on that to see the episodes for that season. actually, either method should be available to the user.

Quote:i dont think enough people watch tv eps on xbmc for it to be such a huge feature.

i disagree. they are putting almost every remotely known tv show on dvd. they are doing this because their tv dvd's are huge sellers.
i actually use xbmc 99% of the time to watch tv shows, i've watched maybe 3 movies on it ever. in fact one of the deciding factors in even getting an xbox and later having it modded was knowing i could then view all my simpsons/family guy/xfiles/etc.. episodes in another room.
yeah i mainly use xbmc for tv series as well, i just didnt think that it was bigger than the movie users....
Big Grin 
this topic has been put on the table several times byt myself and many others. i wanted to create a poll to see how many people actually want this.

most of us do not see that the current movie stacking options work well for tv shows.

goal:

have a section within xbmc that allows for a listing of tv shows in several views that allows for easy navigation of shows by 'season' and 'episode'.

navigation is not just by "number" but also allows titling of episodes by "title". thus allowing views to include: banner, individual episode icons, etc with the episode "title" and "number" and the season number in the view(s).

this would allow for sorting via any of the variables: episode number, episode title, etc.

voice your thoughts and most importantly... vote

view examples:

'all seasons & episodes list with banner'

"bart goes crazy"                season 1  -  episode 1
"homer drinks lots of beer"   season 1  -  episode 2
"this is the episode title"      season 2  -  episode 1

'per season episode guide with icons'

I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
imo no need for its own window. i think the my videos screen can be flexible enough to accomidate both. either create a 'my tv' view or make a database that behaves simularily to my music with 'tv', 'movie' entries.

the 'big list' mode would accomidate your thumbnails as well no?

as far as a banner, unless there was a reliable online source it would be difficult for users to source one for every show. if you used the big list while listing shows you could simply use a shot of the title of the show.
i think it most definitely is a category worth having it's own screens when you think about how much is involved with the category....tv media, tv guide, tv streams, back end pc apps for live tv, all sorts of things could happen with it :d

regards,
los93sol
i really like the look of you example 'per season episode guide with icons' view.

but where would you find reliable thumbnails? or would you maybe generate them yourself from the video file?

also, i dont think banner would be appropriate, and tv.com only has banners for some shows.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i would love a "my tv" section, but would prefer linking it to the "half-finished tv-listings code (xmltv-gui)". i'm still hoping this project comes to life.
maybe this episode thing could be integrated in that. although putting episode stuff somewhere in the movie section would make more sense, that's where it belongs imho. once you recorded it it doesn't have anything to do with tv...

cheers
cacti
(cacti @ aug. 28 2005,05:08 Wrote:i would love a "my tv" section, but would prefer linking it to the "half-finished tv-listings code (xmltv-gui)". i'm still hoping this project comes to life.
maybe this episode thing could be integrated in that. although putting episode stuff somewhere in the movie section would make more sense, that's where it belongs imho. once you recorded it it doesn't have anything to do with tv...

cheers
cacti

i must kindly disagree with both of your statements...

a) a epg has nothing to do with recorded tv episodes. they are completely separate. one is past/saved shows and the other is present/future shows

b) i think the exact opposite, movies have nothing to do with tv shows.

- movies are stand alone videos that usually do not connect to other movies.
- tv shows are "series", hence the term used, of smaller "episodes" that link together in an order, typically.

thus each should be stored and accessed in the way they are intended.

a separate 'tv show' section due to viewing habbits and ordering makes logical sense... i did not invent it, it has been around since tv started. almost all pvrs do it this way too. i just want it to be incorporated into xbmc.

(jslawler @ aug. 28 2005,01:44 Wrote:i really like the look of you example 'per season episode guide with icons' view.

but where would you find reliable thumbnails? or would you maybe generate them yourself from the video file?

also, i dont think banner would be appropriate, and tv.com only has banners for some shows.

not sure where to get thumbnails/icons. i'd probably use the banner/list style and thus get my own banners since they can be easily found or made. i got the simpsons stuff from tv.com
i agree to that a my tv section is needed, as for the thumbnails, why not grab everything from tv.com? i think it is an excellent idea to crap it and display it just like tv.com does with a short describtion and a option to read a more detailed summery if wanted.
i don't think tv.com has thumbnail images for every episode of every show. and i know they don't have banners for every show.

so tv.com can be quite limiting in what is supplies.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
i will likely only use the 'banner' view and maybe a view that displays 'all series - all episodes; sorted by series' and these would have a specific icon for the tv series, not individual shows. i.e. one for simpsons, one for tripping the rift, etc.

so for me is it no big deal if i need to search a few minutes and find a banner/icon or even make one custom. then we could even share them among the group. someone already posted pm3 style show folder icons on one of the xbox skin sites.

the tv shows section could automatically dl one from tv.com (or other site if there is one?) if the image does not exist. if the images exists then just use it... thus allowing you to create one and/or replace the dl'd one if you so choose.
a screenshot could be taken at a random point while viewing and that thumb could be used the next time you view the lineup.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database)1