• 14(current)
FreeNAS versus unRAID as the operating-system for a DIY NAS?
I am still trying to get my first unraid server built so I am not a pro...lol

so I wouldn't be the one to say about expected speeds after but I have researched the initial move

If you were going to do it then what would be best is install your data drives first and copy over your data.....then add the parity after and let it build

takes a lot of the pain away from that initial move of a ton of data
WE ALL WE GOT
Writing will always be slow. You're writing to 2 drives for each write, the data drive and the parity drive. There are things you can do to make it faster -
1. Use faster drives
2. Write to the drive directly instead of a share, IE \\tower\disk1 instead of \\tower\movies.
3. Use a cache drive.
jbass350z Wrote:Are the write speeds of UNRaid still painfully slow? I have looked at it in the past and was not impressed by the speeds. If anything that was the one downfall I saw with UNRaid.. I have a few terrabytes of data to move onto a server, and what I saw at the time was around 20-30MB/s max..

It is better in recent versions, and you can always use a cache drive...

http://zfsonlinux.org/

Looks like he's been a busy bee. ZFS Kernel module is now up to ZFS version 28, which is what OpenIndiana (the last fork of OpenSolaris) is using.

Compiling and testing it in a virtual machine. May put it on another drive in my server and play around with it. Since it's built into a kernel module, it should allow zpool booting as well.
jbass350z Wrote:Are the write speeds of UNRaid still painfully slow? I have looked at it in the past and was not impressed by the speeds. If anything that was the one downfall I saw with UNRaid.. I have a few terrabytes of data to move onto a server, and what I saw at the time was around 20-30MB/s max..

How about 75MB/s writes? Is that fast enough? That's what a decent cache will give you.
I stumbled across this thread looking for more information on Freenas and Unraid.

From my limited computer skills, I can just about put together a computer and install Windows, I was wondering if someone could clear up a few things for me.

I think I have a good understanding of how Unraid works, but still hazy on ZFS. I am hesitant to spend money if there is a free option available, since given current economic circumstances I am a bit tight on money.

So to check my understanding of this thread, can you correct my comprehension if any of the following if incorrect.

1. For example if I have a system with 2 x 1TB and 1 x 1.5TB drives and I have a risk tolerance of one hard disk failure. Both ZFS and Unraid will give me that level of protection and give me 2TB of usable space.

2. If a 1TB drives fail.
In the case of Unraid I could replace the failed drive with a 1.5TB drive and increase my usable space to a total of 2.5TB with still the one drive protection.
In the case of ZFS replacing the 1TB with 1.5TB, my usable space will not change.

3. To expand usable space.
In Unraid I can add any drive.
In ZFS case I need to create a set of at least three drives into a "vdev" and add it to the pool. So if I add 3 x 1TB I will get an increase of 2TB. The level of protection is 1 failure in my first set of 3 drive and also 1 failure in my second set of 3 drives.

Thank you.
For unraid you have everything right. If you add a drive it would have to be 1.5TB or smaller. If you wanted to go to 2TB drives you would have to pull the 1.5TB parity drive, install the 2TB drive and rebuild it as the parity drive. The old parity drive could then be added back to the array as a data drive.
Hi I have google to fine som info abut ZFS and I found that site hire.

I have unraid now and are really happy with itLaugh. but to January I are going to upgrade my cpu to a 45watt quad core from intel that I are begun to use my server to encode my tv show iso when it on.

so now I are begun to learn ZFS in vitualbox. but now to the question it I make a pool with 4 2TB ind raidz1 can it so be convetet to a raidZ2 or to I nede to start whit raridZ2.
my data are only my movies iso and som holiday photos.

but I dont like to do the rip one more time with all my movies. and some will paranoid now but I also copy my data 1/1 to a HDD and put it out site my home for backup.
and one last thing what os will be the best choices for os I can read opensolaris are not going to be maintenance. will it be just solaris ? I are not so much in solaris but can it ben buy whit out monthly support =$
tola5 Wrote:Hi I have google to fine som info abut ZFS and I found that site hire.

I have unraid now and are realy happy whit itLaugh. but to January I are going to upgrade my cpu to a 45watt quad core from intel that I are begun to use my server to encode my tv show iso when it on.

so now I are begun to learn ZFS in vitualbox. but now to the question it I make a poll whit 4 2TB ind raidz1 can it so be convetet to a raidZ2 or to I nede to start whit raridZ2.
my data are only my movies iso and som holiday photos.

but I dont like to do the rip one more time whit all my movies. and som will call me paranoid now but I also copy my data 1/1 to a HDD and pase it out site my home for backup.
and one last thing what os will be the best choices for os I can read opensolaris are not going to be maintenance. will it be just solaris ? I are not so much in solaris but can it ben buy whit out monthly support =$

Would you like to try that again in English? I literally didn't get anything other than you don't want to pay money for Solaris. And a whole lot of 'whits'. If you mean "with", then type with. If English isn't your native language, google translate should at least spell things right.

Solaris Express 11 is free for the home user.
Nextenta is free.
NexentaStor is free for up to 12TB
Open Indiana is being maintained.
darkscout Wrote:Would you like to try that again in English? I literally didn't get anything other than you don't want to pay money for Solaris. And a whole lot of 'whits'. If you mean "with", then type with. If English isn't your native language, google translate should at least spell things right.

Solaris Express 11 is free for the home user.
Nextenta is free.
NexentaStor is free for up to 12TB
Open Indiana is being maintained.

hi are it bedere now ?? Most of what you have highlighted are made a goolge translateSmile but I have no problems whit pay for Solaris it I can pay one time not every month I dont know how it are with Solaris which os will you recommend
I run solaris express 11 now. Just because it's pseudo supported and has the latest zfs.
darkscout Wrote:I run solaris express 11 now. Just because it's pseudo supported and has the latest zfs.
thx for the help will try Solaris 11 Express
TugboatBill Wrote:Strange that it isn't a topic that is discussed. planned for, or even experienced in the enterprise IT community. It must be important though. Rolleyes
You're wrong on this...

Been a lurker here for a while and had to chime in on this. I've only ready about halfway through this thread so pardon me if this has been settled.

I'm a SAN admin in a healthcare system. Currently we have about 1.2 Petabytes of all types of data ranging from transactional databases on high end fiber drives to large pacs images on mid-range SATA drives. Our primary storage vendor is a 3 letter acronym Smile. I only point this out to say that the large IT Storage companies do talk about bit-rot.

From day one, every SAN attached storage controller from the high end to the mid range (we don't buy low end) has had mechanisms to deal with bit rot built into the controllers themselves (NOT the disk drives).

Here's the description of what the hardware in our "lowest" class of storage controller does:

Code:
media scan. A media scan is a background process that runs on all
logical drives in the storage subsystem for which it has been enabled,
providing error detection on the drive media. The media scan process scans all
logical drive data to verify that it can be accessed, and optionally scans the
logical drive redundancy information.

So when you say that it's not discussed, planned for or experienced, my response to you if you are in IT is that you A) Have the wrong vendors or business partners, B) Aren't planning very well, and C) Have been very lucky.

I personally have never had to deal with a bit rot problem, but I suspect that the media scan processes are helping us with this. I do however have some peers in the storage admin profession who have been bitten by this because someone turned off the media scan process on their controller, and they didn't see it.

All that said, I'm a WHS convert to Unraid Pro at home. Haven't had any regrets so far in the 6 months I've been running it. I do however run two, and rsync between the primary and the secondary. As someone pointed out already, raid is not a backup mechanism.

HTH
ajeffco Wrote:You're wrong on this...

Been a lurker here for a while and had to chime in on this. I've only ready about halfway through this thread so pardon me if this has been settled.

I'm a SAN admin in a healthcare system. Currently we have about 1.2 Petabytes of all types of data ranging from transactional databases on high end fiber drives to large pacs images on mid-range SATA drives. Our primary storage vendor is a 3 letter acronym Smile. I only point this out to say that the large IT Storage companies do talk about bit-rot.

From day one, every SAN attached storage controller from the high end to the mid range (we don't buy low end) has had mechanisms to deal with bit rot built into the controllers themselves (NOT the disk drives).

Here's the description of what the hardware in our "lowest" class of storage controller does:

Code:
media scan. A media scan is a background process that runs on all
logical drives in the storage subsystem for which it has been enabled,
providing error detection on the drive media. The media scan process scans all
logical drive data to verify that it can be accessed, and optionally scans the
logical drive redundancy information.

So when you say that it's not discussed, planned for or experienced, my response to you if you are in IT is that you A) Have the wrong vendors or business partners, B) Aren't planning very well, and C) Have been very lucky.

I personally have never had to deal with a bit rot problem, but I suspect that the media scan processes are helping us with this. I do however have some peers in the storage admin profession who have been bitten by this because someone turned off the media scan process on their controller, and they didn't see it.

All that said, I'm a WHS convert to Unraid Pro at home. Haven't had any regrets so far in the 6 months I've been running it. I do however run two, and rsync between the primary and the secondary. As someone pointed out already, raid is not a backup mechanism.

HTH

Can you post any credible evidence of anyone that has experienced bit-rot that was provable as bit-rot? Just because bit-rot may be statistically possible doesn't mean it is something you'll experience.

Yes, storage vendors can be all "up" on it. They sell storage systems and they will anything do to differentiate themselves from the competition. If adding a layer of protection for an statistically insignificant effect sells more systems, then it's added in.

Regardless, we're talking about home theater media storage where the drives used are rarely even of enterprise class. Bringing up bit-rot is silly.
Old post I know, BUT just curious to know how many other folks out there are waiting with bated breath to see how btrfs turns out?

At some point I'll likely move on up from RAID-5.

unRAID looks attractive EXCEPT I need a flow-blown server + occasional desktop on the same machine + Samba blows versus NFS.

ZFS looks great on paper, but FUSE tests woefully slow at best and the Linux(es) is where its at - sorry BSD, Solaris! ;-)

That brings me back to btrfs which is ZFS' kissing cousin. It will have huge *potential* adoption if/when its finished...we hope.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FreeNAS versus unRAID as the operating-system for a DIY NAS?0