[PATCH] Setting A/V sync window for smoothvideo - Fix DTS in MKV stutter
if you want to see it as grumpy go ahead. it was meant as a joke.
spiff Wrote:if you want to see it as grumpy go ahead. it was meant as a joke.
I know, mine was too Big Grin
Just upgraded to Dharma beta 3 and guess what: those stream wrapbacks entries that I mentioned are now appearing in the log. A file plays back with terrible stutter and lots of >100ms discontinuities. Although the same file had issues with unnecessarily duplicated/skipped audio packets like described in this topic, it did not produce stuttering and these large discontinuities in beta 2. Here is the sample: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40VZR5VX.

UPDATE: avformat-52.dll is the culprit, replacing it with the .dll that came with beta 2 "fixes" (actually reverts) the issue. Looking around other people are also having issues with mkvs and dts soundtrack sync.

UPDATE2: ffmpeg was updated in http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/34315

UPDATE3: comparison of errors for the sample in beta 2 and beta 3: http://web.t-online.hu/svce/data/ts_erro...vs_b3.xlsx. Look at the graph, something is really wrong there. Smile
I tried to create another algorithm, but it is quite impossible to detect these errors so I will just stick to the original solution and use a larger window size (with avformat-52.dll from beta 2). Maybe there is just a bug somewhere in ffmpeg code (the beta 3 errors look terrible) which will be fixed later and then the need for this patch is eliminated.
Can you please create a Trac ticket about the DTS - Dharma beta2-beta3 regression, explaining the problem, how switching dlls fixes the issue, linking to this thread and including a sample.

I don't think I screwed up the ffmpeg build, but who knows. There were a few DTS related patches between the two betas IIRC, those are the most likely culprits.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
fixed in svn

<edit>for linux anyway, windows need a dll update</edit>
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

elupus Wrote:fixed in svn

<edit>for linux anyway, windows need a dll update</edit>
Can we expect this is going to be fixed in the Dharma release or not (sorry but between svn, trunk, Dharma... sometimes I don't get what goes where :o).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
yes, it has already bp'd. still not fixed on windows as elupus mentioned.
Hi CrystalP, do I still need to create the ticket? I tried to compile the ffmpeg binaries, downloaded mingw, but it complains about libfaad... I would be happy to try the fix on windows if someone can provide me the new .dll-s (or some instructions how to compile them). Smile
I'll do it, check what happens with new dlls before doing a ticket.

Actually you can head over to the dev section where there is a thread I just replied to, regarding building/debugging ffmpeg for Windows.

edit: update your svn Dharma branch for the new dlls. r34904.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
It looks like that those wrapbacks and heavy stutter are now gone (unfortunately I am abroad and have no access to my full movie library to test), so the fix looks OK, therefore I am not going to create a ticket for this.

However, the original problem why I started this thread is still there. I will create a sample to demonstrate it (probably tomorrow only).
One day late, but here is the sample: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PW2AX7IK. At around 0:36 there is a small stutter with sync disabled (they are constantly appearing throughout the movie). There are also some stream wrapback warnings, but actually they are not causing any visible/audible issues. Tested with latest trunk version.

ps.: Trunk Release (DirectX) build fails to start (Windows shuts the application down before the splash is displayed, no xbmc.log is created). Debug (DirectX) build works correctly however. VS C++ 2008 Express, Win 7 32 bit.
Just installed beta4 and some 1080p mkv's are still stuttering really badly for me--even with every setting possible tried. Works completely smoothly in VLC though.
I think you should post a sample so the devs can take a look at it and fix the issue. Wink See http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=7310 on how to create a sample if you are not familiar with the procedure.
has this/will this be solved for windows ? I am having the same issue and can test a fix if needed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Setting A/V sync window for smoothvideo - Fix DTS in MKV stutter0