Why is video so much darker on lucid vs maverick/freak? nvidia drivers
Option "ColorSpace" "string"
This option sets the color space for all or a subset of the connected flat panels.

The option string is a semicolon-separated list of device specific options. Each option can optionally be prepended with a display device name and a GPU specifier.

"<dpy-0>: <tok>; <dpy-1>: <tok>; ..."

Possible arguments:

"RGB": sets color space to RGB. RGB color space supports two valid color ranges; full and limited. By default, full color range is set when the color space is RGB.

"YCbCr444": sets color space to YCbCr 4:4:4. YCbCr supports only limited color range. It is not possible to set this color space if the GPU or display is not capable of limited range.

If the ColorSpace option is not specified, or is incorrectly specified, then the color space is set to RGB by default.

Examples:

Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"

set the color space to YCbCr 4:4:4 on all flat panels.

Option "ColorSpace" "GPU-0.DFP-0: YCbCr444"

set the color space to YCbCr 4:4:4 on DFP-0 of GPU-0.

Option "ColorRange" "string"
This option sets the color range for all or a subset of the connected flat panels.

The option string is a semicolon-separated list of device specific options. Each option can optionally be prepended with a display device name and a GPU specifier.

"<dpy-0>: <tok>; <dpy-1>: <tok>; ..."

The set of legal ColorRange values depends upon the selected color space.

Possible arguments:

"Full": sets color range to full range. By default, full color range is set when the color space is RGB.

"Limited": sets color range to limited range. YUV supports only limited color range. Consequently, limited range is selected by the driver when color space is set to YUV, and can not be changed.

If the ColorRange option is not specified, or is incorrectly specified, then an appropriate default value is selected based on the selected color space.

Examples:

Option "ColorRange" "Limited"

set the color range to limited on all flat panels.

Option "ColorRange" "GPU-0.DFP-0: Limited"

set the color range to limited on DFP-0 of GPU-0.
last night, i set my output to YCbCr444 over hdmi and re-calibrated my tv using CIE94 to HD-REC709 and i like it! no more "black-crushes" on scenes with a lot of dark areas (especially while watching sgu Big Grin)
Celox Wrote:last night, i set my output to YCbCr444 over hdmi and re-calibrated my tv using CIE94 to HD-REC709 and i like it! no more "black-crushes" on scenes with a lot of dark areas (especially while watching sgu Big Grin)

I agree with you. I also thing that YCbCr444 @ Linux with NVidia >= 260.xx rox!

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:I agree with you. I also thing that YCbCr444 @ Linux with NVidia >= 260.xx rox!

Cheers.

"RGB Limited" should also do the job
athloni Wrote:"RGB Limited" should also do the job

of course limited would use the same ranges as would YCbCr444 but would that not invoke trans-coding of the colorspace?
as far as i know hd-material such as avchd (x264) files are stored in native YCbCr444, ffmpeg/vdpau/gpu would pick the colorspace up and send it untouched to the hdmi output, that is, if its set to YCbCr444.

If set to rgb limited it would involve trans-coding, in short:
x264->ffmpeg/vpau/gpu->"rgb"->hdmi , etc

correct me if im wrong Confused
ok I have a xbmcfreak version I have no gui to acccess, what changes need to be made to my Xorg config file to take advantage of the new color features of the Nvidia 206.X I have the xSwat ppa installed and updated.

-=Jason=-

my Xorg looks like this

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 260.19.04  ([email protected])  Thu                                                                              Sep  2 19:16:01 PDT 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
    Option         "HWCursor" "Off"
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

also I have to recalibrate my xbmc every time I boot. I think my amp isn't turning on fast enough for the HTPC so its loading incorrect resolution its to big and I need to scale it down

-=Jason=-
in your section "screen" you need to add

Code:
Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"
or
Code:
Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
or
Code:
Option "ColorRange" "Full"

here is how my screen section looks:
Code:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen0"
        Device          "Device0"
        Monitor         "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option          "TwinView" "0"
        Option          "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
        Option          "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"
        Option          "NoFlip" "false"
        Option          "ModeValidation" "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
        Option          "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1"
        Option          "ModeDebug" "true"
        Option          "HWCursor" "false"  # Blinking Cursor Fix
        SubSection      "Display"
               Option   "DynamicTwinView" "false"
                Modes   "1920x1080_24" "1920x1080_60_0"
                Depth    24
        EndSubSection

you could "force" your resolution to the one supported by your tv-set for that check this forum post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068
Celox thanks for posting that, I have added a modes line to my "Display" as well hoping it will force the proper resolution when I turn on my htpc.

right now I have it set to go to sleep when I hit my power off button my remote, but when I press HTPC and all devices turn on it seems the amp/ tv do not turn on quick enough and I get stupid over scan which I have to fix in xbmc gui settings. maybe if I can force xbmc to use the same gui settings each time that might help

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:also I have to recalibrate my xbmc every time I boot. I think my amp isn't turning on fast enough for the HTPC so its loading incorrect resolution its to big and I need to scale it down
If by this you mean that you have to adjust the screen size in the video calibration setting, then once it's done change the properties of your guisettings.xml to read-only.
bossanova808 Wrote:With the new drivers both the UI and the video play appear correct (vanilla Live Beta3 plus 260.19.12) - no obvious issues to note, upgrade was easy.

EDIT: by correct, I mean no brightness/contrast adjustment or 'studio levels' is required.
Studio levels do a terrible job here (karmic). It makes the image with a washed look.

Cheers.
Celox Wrote:of course limited would use the same ranges as would YCbCr444 but would that not invoke trans-coding of the colorspace?
as far as i know hd-material such as avchd (x264) files are stored in native YCbCr444, ffmpeg/vdpau/gpu would pick the colorspace up and send it untouched to the hdmi output, that is, if its set to YCbCr444.

If set to rgb limited it would involve trans-coding, in short:
x264->ffmpeg/vpau/gpu->"rgb"->hdmi , etc

correct me if im wrong Confused

Thanks for the info.
I switched to YCbCr444 and now I've got perfect values for the UI and Video.

So if it will ever be implemented into XBMC UI settings, it should be like this:

Colorspace: RGB or YCbCr444 (switch)
scovette Wrote:If by this you mean that you have to adjust the screen size in the video calibration setting, then once it's done change the properties of your guisettings.xml to read-only.

yes thats it, so I should chmod 744 my guisettings.xml?

-=Jason=-
Woohoo... hopefully now Windows and Linux will look the same when outputting via HDMI. The old windows drivers always forced limited color range through HDMI (even converted twice in some instances) while Linux always did full range. Now I should be able to get them working the same...

finally
I'm running Dharma Beta 2 on Lucid with 260.19.12 nvidia drivers and using 9800 GTX.

When I tried to set the ColorSpace to YCbCr444 it reported this in Xorg.log

NVIDIA(GPU-0): The requested color space is not supported by the GPU or
NVIDIA(GPU-0): display. The selected default color space is RGB

Currently using RGB/Limited.

Also, since upgrading to 260.19.12 I am having some pretty bad video tearing at the exact same spot about a inch below the top of the screen.
scalpel Wrote:Maybe you need to reconfigure xorg.
Code:
sudo nvidia-xconfig

Thanks for reply, but that didn't solve my problem.
I think the HDMI signal is out of range, so my HDTV can't display it. Oo

This is my Xorg.log: http://pastebin.org/322869

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is video so much darker on lucid vs maverick/freak? nvidia drivers0