[LIVE] Dharma 3 still nasty static on Toslink.
DoctorDyna Wrote:Absolutely. Let me go fire it up and get one.
http://pastebin.com/Urg39j0u

Any ideas?
DoctorDyna Wrote:Any ideas?

Yes, according to your log there may be an issue with passing IEC958 AES parameters on passthrough when there are multiple audio cards and a specific card is selected from XBMC options. These AES parameters are ignored by most hardware (A/V receivers and soundcards), though, so this would've affected very few people. Probably (hopefully) your soundcard does some extra audio processing when AES flags are missing, garbling the audio stream before it reaches your A/V receiver.

I now fixed this in trunk/r35005 and Dharma/r35006.

Please test if possible, and provide a new debug log if it still doesn't work. Thanks for the report Smile
Anssi,
This is perfect I will test it tonight.
Yesterday I bought Creative X-fi surround5.1 (USB) and I cannot force it to do some things (passthrough)

Analog 5.1 works out of the box
Passthrough works only in DD/DTS video files but not in DTS_CDs.

I will report back later tonight.
uomiarz Wrote:Passthrough works only in DD/DTS video files but not in DTS_CDs.
Just in case I was unclear earlier, that is expected. Passthrough doesn't work for DTS CDs, and this seems unfortunately too complex to fix for Dharma.

For DTS-WAV files (i.e. those extracted from DTS CDs) one can try the just added "dvdplayerignoredtsinwav" option which may work.
Thx for your work. I guess it comes down right now to what hardware is being used. I have two soundcards installed.
Setting output (not passthrough) to plughw:0,1 (mobo IEC958) gives me perfect DTSwavs playback with your fix(advancedsettings.xml)

Setting output to plughw:1,1 (usb X-fi 5.1) and DTSwavs are not working anymore (but everything else is - DTS movies)

Interestingly enough some music DTS files that have extension .dts works OK and passthrough is actually being used. So I guess what matters is also how you prepare dts file in a first place.

Analog 5.1 always work but... channels are mixed up on linux (channel mapping). Well maybe it is not mixed up but different then windows so some files plays OK while others are mixed up Smile fun fun fun

looking forward to test new audio engine
uomiarz Wrote:Thx for your work. I guess it comes down right now to what hardware is being used. I have two soundcards installed.
Setting output (not passthrough) to plughw:0,1 (mobo IEC958) gives me perfect DTSwavs playback with your fix(advancedsettings.xml)

Setting output to plughw:1,1 (usb X-fi 5.1) and DTSwavs are not working anymore (but everything else is - DTS movies)
Yep, this is exactly the reason I said that the advancedsetting hack only works on some hardware.
uomiarz Wrote:Interestingly enough some music DTS files that have extension .dts works OK and passthrough is actually being used. So I guess what matters is also how you prepare dts file in a first place.
Passthrough currently works for 48kHz files only.
uomiarz Wrote:Analog 5.1 always work but... channels are mixed up on linux (channel mapping). Well maybe it is not mixed up but different then windows so some files plays OK while others are mixed up Smile fun fun fun
If "speaker-test -c6" has wrong channel mapping as well, it is a driver bug.
If that command produces audio with correct channel mapping, it is an XBMC bug and we'd like a sample file and/or debug log.
Anssi Wrote:Yes, according to your log there may be an issue with passing IEC958 AES parameters on passthrough when there are multiple audio cards and a specific card is selected from XBMC options. These AES parameters are ignored by most hardware (A/V receivers and soundcards), though, so this would've affected very few people. Probably (hopefully) your soundcard does some extra audio processing when AES flags are missing, garbling the audio stream before it reaches your A/V receiver.

I now fixed this in trunk/r35005 and Dharma/r35006.

Please test if possible, and provide a new debug log if it still doesn't work. Thanks for the report Smile

Awesome, thanks mate! I'll see if I can figure out how to get this build now.

EDIT: Do I have to compile a new xbmc?

Edit2: I guess I do. Sooooo....how long is it going to be before Dharma 4 LOL.
@Doc

Actually it is very simple Smile but...

I just bought X-fi 5.1 surround pro. It works out of the box for the most part but it cannot play DTS wavs that are sampled at 44kHz.
Analog 5.1 works out of the box.
Passthrough works for movies(DTS/DD).

As Anssi stated it is expected. Different hardware happens to react differently to passthrough.
I tried his latest fixes and they work nice on me IEC958 sound chip, but X-fi is no go in some cases (DTS wavs)

I don't want to change a topic here to explain how to compile from SVN but PM me if you are interested in trying it (or search forum on how to do that)
uomiarz Wrote:@Doc

Actually it is very simple Smile but...

I just bought X-fi 5.1 surround pro. It works out of the box for the most part but it cannot play DTS wavs that are sampled at 44kHz.
Analog 5.1 works out of the box.
Passthrough works for movies(DTS/DD).

As Anssi stated it is expected. Different hardware happens to react differently to passthrough.
I tried his latest fixes and they work nice on me IEC958 sound chip, but X-fi is no go in some cases (DTS wavs)

I don't want to change a topic here to explain how to compile from SVN but PM me if you are interested in trying it (or search forum on how to do that)

Yeah, I was looking at that earlier, but it seems to be set up for folks with an existing ubuntu install that are looking to install xbmc.

I'm going to give it a shot from the command line of the live version. If it breaks, I'll just reinstall it later once it's updated on the live version.

EDIT: As I expected.

xbmc@XBMCLive:~/xbmc$ ./bootstrap
./bootstrap: 5: autoreconf: not found

edit2: mkay, autoconf. If this install gets any bigger I might as well go back to windows ><

edit3: Still failed, i give.
[sorry for the off-topic] I used this Wiki on compiling from SVN: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ian/Ubuntu

The downloaded "Readme.Ubuntu" file from SVN/trunk lets us know what dependencies there are and how to install the lot of them. From the readme's part 3.1:
Code:
For Ubuntu (versions 7.04 to 10.04):

# sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs
(use copy/paste into a terminal and wait a long time for all cryptic messages to stop flying by Smile)

P.S. About the 44.1 kHz DTS and certain audiocards: see this topic in my second reply on 26-10-2010 (= reply No. 10).

P.S.2 I wouldn't compile an application from source code if you aren't experienced in (or nuts about) Linux. I'd wait for another release. Did you try the Help DTS file that Uomiarz was kind enough to upload to this location? That file is 48 kHz and worked fine for me. Then I pasted the code by Uomiarz in /home/my_name/.xbmc/advancedsettings.xml.
xbmcuser01 Wrote:[sorry for the off-topic] I used this Wiki on compiling from SVN: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ian/Ubuntu

The downloaded "Readme.Ubuntu" file from SVN/trunk lets us know what dependencies there are and how to install the lot of them. From the readme's part 3.1:
Code:
For Ubuntu (versions 7.04 to 10.04):

# sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxtst-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmms-dev libmpeg3-dev libfaad-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libwavpack-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs
(use copy/paste into a terminal and wait a long time for all cryptic messages to stop flying by Smile)

P.S. About the 44.1 kHz DTS and certain audiocards: see this topic in my second reply on 26-10-2010 (= reply No. 10).

P.S.2 I wouldn't compile an application from source code if you aren't experienced in (or nuts about) Linux. I'd wait for another release. Did you try the Help DTS file that Uomiarz was kind enough to upload to this location? That file is 48 kHz and worked fine for me. Then I pasted the code by Uomiarz in /home/my_name/.xbmc/advancedsettings.xml.

Thanks for this, I'll give it a whirl in a few.

P.S: I made the thread, it's ok if it goes off topic, LOL.
xbmcuser01 Wrote:Did you try the Help DTS file that Uomiarz was kind enough to upload to this location.

That sounded like a hundred thousand angry bees. Different static from the other files, but static nonetheless.

I'm going to try getting and installing all that stuff in a little while in the interest of seeing if that's what the problem is, but I've screwed my live install now so I have to wipe it and reinstall it.
i have the same problem... still cannot fix it. last stable was working =/
Well guys, thanks for all the help, but after installing a full version of Ubuntu yesterday, doing all the updates, getting the most current source code from the SVN, spending an hour figuring out and installing dependencies, compiling xbmc and running it just to find out that it still has the same issue while mplayer does not, I've decided to stick with the Windows version of xbmc for now.

Perhaps future live cd versions will give me the lightweight media center solution I'm looking for, but for now, with my hardware (a lot more uncommon that you'd think, evidently) it's just not there yet.
DoctorDyna Wrote:Well guys, thanks for all the help, but after installing a full version of Ubuntu yesterday, doing all the updates, getting the most current source code from the SVN, spending an hour figuring out and installing dependencies, compiling xbmc and running it just to find out that it still has the same issue while mplayer does not, I've decided to stick with the Windows version of xbmc for now.

Perhaps future live cd versions will give me the lightweight media center solution I'm looking for, but for now, with my hardware (a lot more uncommon that you'd think, evidently) it's just not there yet.

At least you did not gave up. Think about how much you learn about linux Smile
My solution will be to get new soundcard (that linux support, cheap or highend) but it's your call.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Dharma 3 still nasty static on Toslink.0