XBMC on Ubuntu 10.10 too slow to use
Hey guys, I recently switched from MicroXP to Unbuntu 10.10 I was able to get XBMC installed and working using this article: http://www.hackourlives.com/install-xbmc...e-support/

However when starting up XBMC is sluggish slow to the point it's unusable. I never had any issues in Windows after installing DX9c. I have old computer with onboard video chip Intel 82845G/GL. Does anyone know of a way to get this working better?
Did you installed the current display drivers?
what video card are you using?
All Things PVR
dubstar_04 Wrote:what video card are you using?

I'm using the onboard video Intel 828845G
Bump anyone? Thanks in advance
Disable compiz and make sure you have the right graphics drivers.
Does compiz work on your machine? Basically you need to ensure that you have 3D acceleration working on your machine. Go to System > Admin > driver option to see if any third party driver needs to be enabled. If all is well then you might have to wait till official meerkat version is out or install Lucid for time being.
Yes I have compiz installed
ig0dyes Wrote:Yes I have compiz installed

Make sure it's not on.
I've gone to System>Preferences>Appearance and selected None however is there something else I should probably try?
Post a debug log as described here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I've been busy this week. I'll post a debug soon.

On a side note I tried using XBMC Live 9.11 on a CD-R and it worked fine when selecting the Intel GPU settings.
hackourlives Wrote:Does compiz work on your machine? Basically you need to ensure that you have 3D acceleration working on your machine. Go to System > Admin > driver option to see if any third party driver needs to be enabled. If all is well then you might have to wait till official meerkat version is out or install Lucid for time being.

I had this exact same problem, turns out my driver wasn't installed.

When I followed the instructions above: System > Administration > Additional Drivers, it gave me a heads up that my video driver wasn't installed, I clicked a button, it downloaded it, told me to restart, now everything is no longer slow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Ubuntu 10.10 too slow to use0