XBMC AVI and other problems
Hi!

I'm new to XBMC. I had an old HTPC computer which runs FreeVO. Now I bought an ASUS AT5IONT-I to build a new one. I choose to use XBMC, becuase FreeVO had some usability problems (at least for me, and my family).

Everything was nice, I build a minimal Gentoo system to an USB drive. Set up NVidia drivers, applied HDMI audio workaround (options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2) and installed XBMC 9.11. I have some MKV movies, which are running fine, great! I tried to play an AVI which caused XBMC to segfault. The relevant logs was:

Code:
12:28:31 T:139788155037456 M:875442176   ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error: An invalid handle value was provided.(3) at VDPAU.cpp:1115
12:28:31 T:139788155037456 M:875593728  NOTICE:  (VDPAU) Didnt find a Video Surface Available (Total: 1). Creating a new one. TRY #1
12:28:31 T:139788155037456 M:875339776   ERROR:  (VDPAU) Error: An invalid handle value was provided.(3) at VDPAU.cpp:1115

I searched for that error message and I only found that exists, but it's still fixed. So I tried the SVN trunk version. The above problems solved but every movie had an annoying play 1s - freeze - play 1s -freeze ... sequence during the playback. No matter of the file formats, codecs and resolutions. And this affects the video files which can be played fine with version 9.11. So I think this is a bug/regression.

I tried to install a Live version, but I hadn't successed. My HTPC doesn't have any CD/DVD drive (I use NFS mounted NAS instead) and the prepared USB drive gives me only a text prompt.

I tried to use mplayer. When I runs mplayer from a terminal it can be runs smoothly and plays every files perfect with vdpau too with this config.

Code:
utf8=1
vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau,
vo=vdpau
ao=alsa:device=hw=1.3
quiet=1

I tried to use mplayer for the AVI files. I found some advancedsettings.xml things which are obsoleted now, and some playercorefactory.xml which I used.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="MPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>/usr/bin/mplayer</filename>
     <args>-really-quiet -fs "{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc> <!-- I changed this, but no effect -->
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule video="true" player="dvdplayer">
     <rule filetypes="avi" player="MPlayer"/>
   </rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

When I try to play an AVI file the screen freezes, no audio, no video. I see a running mplayer process which spinning in an ioctl.

Code:
ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_START or TCSETS, {B38400 opost isig -icanon -echo ...}) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
--- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
--- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---

I searched lots but I didn't found the solution any of the problems above (or I just missed it).

Have you any ideas for the constant lagging in trunk version or the mplayer problems? If you need any other informations please ask.

I working on this more than a week now, reading dozens of posts/tickets/how-tos and no solution still. It's very frustrating...

PS: Sorry for my bad English.
I have this same problem aswell.
If i change the render method from VDPAU to Software it works fine.
Autodetect doesn't seem to play xvids with the software method.

I'm running Gentoo aswell.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
What is the problem in not using vpau to play video's if they play well then? Have y'all the right vvidia drivers for vpau?

P.S. Mplayer does not need many command line options to play an avi/xvid/divx correctly out of the box. If it does, there's something wrong (w/ the avi itself maybe?).
HD videos are slow and laggy.
Its a pain having to change between the 2 for different vids.
Hopefully its fixed in the dharma update
It shouldn't be using VDPAU for xvid anyway, unless it's explicitly turned on through advancedsettings.xml.
I've finally figured out the issue.
If you've the newer version of ffmpeg installed it crashes.
I've installed media-video/ffmpeg-0.5_p20373 and its fine now.
kgleeson Wrote:I've finally figured out the issue.
If you've the newer version of ffmpeg installed it crashes.
I've installed media-video/ffmpeg-0.5_p20373 and its fine now.
Oh no! Yet another "newer" version of some piece of software that's worse than the old one? Why do they do that? No

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC AVI and other problems0