Amplify movie volume
GranCanaria Wrote:it would be nice to have that with an equalizer and maybe a winamp 2 plugin

i set my 5.1 to near max volume and the main vol control is done via the RC6 remote in XBMC, and yes the boost audio is activated but some movies are still a bit too low in volume.

One reason I run a DSPlayer build on one of my systems which has a good lower end 5.1 amp is so I can use "DC-Graphic EQ" which IMHO is probably the best directshow graphic out there, I have to run analogue but the difference in sound quality is huge compared to bitstreaming the original AC3 or DTS

A graphic can certainly turn a mediocre system into something great Wink

jhsrennie Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code

Thanks, but I know how to do that. I'm looking for a coder to give me a technical explanation as to why the feature I'm taking about - that used to be in previous XBMC versions - is hard to implement. If I get some detailed info and a signpost to where I need to look I can solve it myself. However the XBMC source is huge and trying to dive into it blind will take more time than I have.

>>X<<' Wrote:One reason I run a DSPlayer build on one of my systems which has a good lower end 5.1 amp so I can use "DC-Graphic EQ" which IMHO is probably the best directshow graphic out there, I have to run analogue but the difference in sound quality is huge compared to

Wait, how have you done that? There's a different XBMC build that uses directshow rather than mplayer?
Codemaster32 Wrote:Wait, how have you done that? There's a different XBMC build that uses directshow rather than mplayer?

Yes my friend as you can see I'm using CoreAVC and MPC-HC audio codec I should add I'm using a really old build had to compile a few before I found the right one, not tried the latest builds as I think development has slowed a bit plus I was waiting for a release based on the next stable release of XBMC

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61355

Give it a bash Smile
Codemaster32, there is a new audio engine coming up for the version after Dharma that will allow plugging in processing filters, such as range compression, equalizers, ... You can check out the AE branch on SVN for a preview and there is a dedicated thread in the dev section of the forums. It's not worth investing time in the current code.

However maybe what you're after is easier than that and just requires extending the allowed volume values and recording a per-video volume setting (if it's not there already, I'm going by memory).
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:Codemaster32, there is a new audio engine coming up for the version after Dharma that will allow plugging in processing filters, such as range compression, equalizers, ... You can check out the AE branch on SVN for a preview and there is a dedicated thread in the dev section of the forums. It's not worth investing time in the current code.

However maybe what you're after is easier than that and just requires extending the allowed volume values and recording a per-video volume setting (if it's not there already, I'm going by memory).

Thanks for the update. I think I'm after the latter - just extend the values and per video volume setting.
I have this problem to with the latest build 10.0.

I use analog audio for movies, 2.0 and go directly to my tv. I also have windows 7 volume set to 100% & xbmc volume to 100%, and volume adjustment set to 0% db, so max everything. My tv volume from 20% to 80% sounds like i only raised the volumes from 20 to 30% which is to low.

I do have the optical audio plugged into a receiver and have a realtek dual audio hack to have analog and optical working at the same time

but movies are meant for my TV and not my receiver. I don't want to turn on my receiver.

I also don't recall volume being this quiet in the betas and RCs. I dunno. I'll mess with it more. Anyone with any advice, i'd love to hear it.
Smile 
Hi Smile

I just installed XBMC for the first time today and quite pleased; but sad to see no option to boost audio levels or compress audio.

I have a simple setup - PC connected to shelf stereo with analogue cables; but I have a problem that there is a hum if I turn the amp up too high, even with audio output from the PC at 100% for Main and WAV mixers. Thus, I don't like really quiet movies.

Prior, I was using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema which has a handy feature: Play --> Audio --> Options --> [X] Normalise [X]Regain Volume

Following instructions at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_playback I created the file "playercorefactory.xml" in c:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Application Data\XBMC\userdata

The content:
Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>E:\Program Files\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
     <playcountminimumtime>180</playcountminimumtime>
   </player>
   <player name="VLC Media Player" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
     <args></args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
     <playcountminimumtime>180</playcountminimumtime>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<!-- ignoring this bit <rule filetypes="divx|mp4" player="Media Player Classic - Home Cinema"/> -->
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Save and restart XBMC, you can now right-click a file and choose Play With ...

Note: You'd need to customise the paths for MPCHC, VLC to suit your system, and un-comment the "rule filetypes" bit if you want to have XBMC default to the player you specify.

I look forward to when the new audio feature is implemented!

Cheers, Mike
To add to this query guys, does the <headroom> tag under <audio> in advancedsettings.xml still work.

I don't want to make anything louder, I have just noticed that i have to have the volume on my amp much higher to play dts and ac3. So the solution is to turn down the relative volume of 2 channel mp3 so that at say -20db on the amp it all sounds the same.

This does work by turning down the volume in xbmc to about -9.6db as the dts and ac3 bitstream so ignore the setting. I also tried to do it by changing the setting under windows, but i had to disable "give exclusive use rights" which meant that it couldn't bitstream dts and ac3.

Also when trying the above method, the sound of mp3 music did take notice of the setting, however mp3 on video files did not.

Anyway, i'd like to use the <headroom> setting (at 9.6 rather than 6 or 12), but putting it into advancedsettings doesn't seem to do anything at all. By using it it would mean my family couldn't accidently turn the volume back up in xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amplify movie volume0