HTPC / Server - Fractal Design NAS Array R2?
Quote:Nonsense, there is no such thing as a perfect size, it all depends on the users individual needs. The OP wants to use 6x 2TB disks so there is no need for a huge ATX case and board.

Just as you say- individual needs determine size and use. Here on the XBMC forum (especially now that the Xbox is no longer supported) I assume unless told otherwise that anyone talking about a storage wants it for HD content.

Now if the OP would have said " I have xxx many DVDs I want to backup and play in XBMC" I would have offered a different solution with less drives. I have done that more than once.

But when a OP is just talking in general I assume what I consider to be an "average" setup which is one or two ION boxes and a 8-16 drive NAS. I base this "average setup" on the needs of many people who have asked me for help in the forum or through PMs.

More than once I have helped someone who though 2TB was a lot of space find the magic of Usenet and discover for themselves that even 6 x 2TB is NOTHING in that realm. More than once I actually advised something smaller (that they thought was sufficient at first) that they quickly outgrew thanks to this Usenet info. So nowadays I shoot for the average which is based on at what level you get the most for the money...

Quote:Filling up 6 2TB drives can take a long time, personally I still haven't filled up my 6 1TB drives that I bought more than 2 years ago, but like I said earlier each persons needs are different so making sweeping statements like you do is nonsense that doesn't help anyone.

If given more specifics, I will tailor the advice to each person. But given a lack of specifics I will advise towards an average setup. For every one of you there are people on this forum with 20 drive Norcos filled to the brim. What I advise then is an average between you and the Norco people (aka me).

Since XBMC only recently has had the ability to easily use streaming content, acquired local content has been the standard. Acquiring HD content uses more space on average than almost anything else in the consumer field. So by logic those on the XBMC forum need more space in their NAS than the average consumer. That is the specific "need" I give advice about.

Plus you are generalizing that an OP completely understands their needs when they are first getting into the HTPC world. That is almost never the case, and is why I advise people about what are the best value choices based on my own experience.

Quote:I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you would be even more helpful for others if you looked at their individual requirements and suggested something appropriate for them, rather than suggesting your own personal solution for everybody.

I don't suggest "my own personal solution" to ANYBODY. I have TWO Unraid servers of 10 disks and 16 disks. I have four HTPCs ranging from home built ION boxes running Linux to monster Quad Core boxes running Windows. I officially build HTPCs as a hobby- I spend more time on parts than I do enjoying the content. I know that such a setup is too much for most people.

But considering the fact that a 8-12 drive Micro ATX mediaserver costs pretty much the same amount as a 4-6 drive Mini ITX mediaserver, I am gonna recommend the setup with the maximum amount of value for the money.

OP and everyone else on this forum has the complete right to ignore my advice and buy whatever they want. In fact, if someone wants to ignore my advice I will help them do it: even though it hurts my soul for another monster HTPC+NAS to be in the world if that is what the OP wants I will go through Newegg and pick every part needed for that to happen and try my best to avoid future waste.

Almost always I tailor my advice based on what is available to OP, and what OP's expectations are. But before I start to help cut corners I am always gonna put forth my recommendation of a best case setup, and I am not gonna apologize for that because often enough people have listened to me and changed their plans to accomodate my advice.

Quote:Also with Linux raid migrating drives to a new PC is as easy as plug and play.

That isn't the main problem with building a NAS+ HTPC. Your data is safe in such a setup.

The main problem is that you are almost guaranteed to buy some piece of hardware- a mobo, a case, something- that won't work well when you move to a NAS + Frontend setup. The main problem is wasted money.

Also, I will be the first to say that most people don't want a Linux software RAID server. Solutions like Unraid, WHS, and FreeNAS don't force you to get on a command-line, which is HUGE to a lot of people. I am gonna advise easier solutions (which IMHO are often better for media use than RAID), and very often they require a dedicated machine.

The fact that OP asked about Unraid and a very specific (and easy to use) XBMC distro tells me that easy to use appeals to OP. The fact that OP didn't understand that Unraid required a dedicated machine or that any XBMC distro is a poor mediaserver OS tells me that OP is new to the field. And finally the fact that OP posted here on the forum asking these questions tells me that OP is looking for advice. So I am gonna give my standard advice first, and as OP gives more data I intend to tailor that advice.

Honestly it seems that OP is in love with the Fractal Design Array R2. If that is the case I am more than happy to discuss ways to make a nice NAS out of the case, using the easiest to use software and hardware possible (so no Linux software RAID, and no boards that even come close to HPA). But first I have to say why I object to OP's main thesis of wanting a HTPC+NAS, and support that objection. The fact that others have chimed in with this advice in the thread tells me I am not completely off base making such recommendations.

Quote:Green drives like the WD-GP or the Samsungs don't get hot at all, they can run completely passive if you want.

I personally don't like the idea of running such drives without active cooling, but it can be done as long as a NAS is built right.

The problem of heat isn't the drives by themselves, it is the HTPC plus the drives. Even ION rigs get very hot, which makes case airflow something you have to put real though into. ESPECIALLY in Mini ITX sizes controlling that heat profile is VERY difficult without tons of small (and therefore loud) fans. If you forgo the loud fans then the drives have to accommodate the GPU/CPU heat from playing back 1080p, which is a near certain recipe for killing drives (yet another thing I have done in the past).

So I advise (and will always advise) anyone on the forum to build separate NASes and HTPCs. In fact, I put that forth as my "primary advice" and the one truth I believe more than any other in HTPCland.

But as I said, if OP wants a monster HTPC+NAS I am more than happy to help.......

Information 
WOW...

Thank U both poofyhairguy and ION_MAN for this great Thread!

from my reading through u´re conversation, whats right and wrong in both of youre opinions, was a veery positive mind blast for me!!

I made my decision a week ago and orderd some hardware ...

Fractal Design NAS Array v2 ( and YES, I DO LOVE THIS CASE! )

2x 2TB WD20EARS HDDs

Asus AT3IONT-I Mini-ITX Mainboard

2GB DDRIII-RAM PC1066 Kingston (KVR1066D3N7/2G)

I´ve installed XBMC (Openelec.tv latest Vers.) on one of the 2TB Drives with all my Media on seperate/shared Partition on it!

Thats because, if I decide what to buy for the seperate XBMC Frontend, i wont loose my Library and "Emberded" contend to the NAS-Upgrade, right??

I figured since the AT3IONT-I already has 4x SataII-Ports and a PCIe x16 Slot, I could leave it inside the NAS and use it for that purpose?

the XBMC Frontend will the sit in a MiniITX Case with

Asus AT5IONT-I

2GB DDR-III Ram

40 GB Intel X25 Value SSD

1) what do you guys think?

2) should i resell the NAS Case and go for an Fractal Design DefineR3 Black Perl case and Micro-ATX MBHuh

sure... sounds confusing... and thats what i am right now... Huh

thank u everybody for all youre help!!!

Fuddster
What case you use depends on how many hard drives you need. That depends on how you accumulate media, what media you acquire, and how long you keep it on line.

Are you the type that will buy/download/rip an entire TV series and keep it on line indefinitely? Do you watch and then delete? How about movies?

A DVD will take approximately 5GB of space. BR Rips are ~ 25GB. HDTV is ~1GB per hour if from a torrent and can be as much as 12GB from a BR Rip. Movie downloads from torrents/etc are all over the map.

Personally, I keep everything. I was keeping BR ISOs and the m2ts with unwanted subtitles/languages removed. 6 - 2TB drives full and I've backed up all the BR ISOs offline to delay the time when I'll have to expand the array.

So the answer is really depends on how you will manage your media.

The nice thing about unraid is that it is very forgiving when you have to expand. I've moved my array for one chassis to another, changed CPU, added a controller, added drives, upgraded versions, added a cache drive, etc without a problem. So the only real risk you have is the additional $$ you'll end up spending later if you make the wrong choice now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC / Server - Fractal Design NAS Array R2?0