Ubuntu Maverick - XBMC Dharma B4 - No HDMI Sound still
NightStormWolf Wrote:If you want to try it, you'll need to change that "hw:1,3" to match your HDMI output.
Bear in mind that that first '1' means that you've got 2 audio cards in your PC. Number '0' is the default one (on board audio?) and the hdmi part of your vid.crd. is the second (i.e. number '1'). Smile

NightStormWolf Wrote:EDIT: I also had to un-mute my digital output with alsamixer.
One tends to forget about the most trivial things often. You won't know how many times this 'UNmuting' indeed appeared to be the only problem considering audio for me (Windows and Linux alike!)
NightStormWolf you are my Saviour!!!

Ok for a Revo, default installation of Ubuntu 10.10, XBMC Dharma Beta4, system update but nothing else. Creat your /etc/asound.conf:

Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
}
}

In Preferences>System>Audio set both outputs to "custom" and the custom field to "default".

Still no menu sounds Sad but at least theres a hell of a lot less messing around!
Thanks again NightStormWolf and I hope this helps others with a Revo having the same problems!
Niietzshe
Alright, I have been no help so far with this. Here is my attempt at redemption for menu navigation sounds. I don't know if this will work for you but...

1. On your desktop create a text file called asoundrc.txt, open it and put the following text in it.

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

2. Save the file and then copy it to your XBMC in the folder called "/home/<user>" where user is the user you created in the install.
3. Rename the file to ".asoundrc"
4. On your next reboot you will get menu clicks.
Ok, I "HAD" DTS,AC3,DD working etc, but it killed any MP3 stereo stuff!
Now I have changed some stuff around and have stereo stuff back (and menu sounds) but have lost any surround stuff again!

/home/username/.asoundrc
/usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

Once I had those, more options turned up in Ubuntu's Sound Prefs and I set it to HDMI Output. Then xbmc is set to Custom>default in both sound output fields.

Why can't I get surround? I can out of VLC, so surely this is something that should be addresssed within XBMC...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Niietzshe
Big Grin 
niietzshe Wrote:Bah, ok I've just formatted my Acer Revo 3610 and installed a fresh version of Ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC Dharma Beta 4.

Have followed this guide as well as others, but this is how my asound.conf and xbmc settings are at the minute.

With those set I get a an audio initialization fail. If I swap the devices to "hdmi" I can play TV Shows which should be just MP3 but still get a fail on DD/DTS Movies.

Last time I had all this working I had removed pulseaudio and I'd rather not do that as I lost menu sounds etc...

Has anyone got any of this working on a Revo?
Niietzshe

Hi Niietzshe,
I had the exact same problem as you, running the same hardware. I pulled my hair out for days trying all the guides and it turned out to be something as simple as unmuting S/PDIF1 using the alsamixer. A really bad label in alsamixer for HDMI sound Eek

http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showth...?t=1607475
Nope, thats not it. I went into the alsamixer yesterday and unmuted everything and set their volumes to 100%...

Thanks anyway.
Still looking for an answer!
Niietzshe
Ok I've now got PCM Multichannel HDMI from XBMC to my receiver. Basically I am using the settings I previously mentioned, set 5.1 analogue output in Ubuntu>Prefs>Sound>Hardware, set passthrough in XBMC to "ALSA:default" and then had to set my playback of multichannel stuff to "analogue". Just hit "m" while playing a movie, then go to the speaker and select analogue instead of hdmi.

Seem to be getting 5.1 through my speakers, they're not setup as I prefer so can't test it as best I like, but at least all the channels are clear and direct.

Going to start a new thread about the pros and cons of PCM vs DTS Passthrough etc and report back here to hopefully close this issue once and for all!
Niietzshe
niietzshe Wrote:Ok I've now got PCM Multichannel HDMI from XBMC to my receiver. Basically I am using the settings I previously mentioned, set 5.1 analogue output in Ubuntu>Prefs>Sound>Hardware, set passthrough in XBMC to "ALSA:default" and then had to set my playback of multichannel stuff to "analogue". Just hit "m" while playing a movie, then go to the speaker and select analogue instead of hdmi.

Seem to be getting 5.1 through my speakers, they're not setup as I prefer so can't test it as best I like, but at least all the channels are clear and direct.

Going to start a new thread about the pros and cons of PCM vs DTS Passthrough etc and report back here to hopefully close this issue once and for all!
Niietzshe

Sorry i haven't had the time to check back in lately. Glad to see your making some progress.

One thing about your asound.conf configure file is the "!" in the names. You'll want only one of those options with it. It marks the default output for the system. Meaning you can set the XBMC output to "default" without using the custom option, as the configure file sets default to the option marked with "!". That's my understanding of it, but i could always be wrong.

So if you had...
Code:
pcm.!mysound
...options here...

pcm.othersounds
...options here...
The "mysound" config would then be used for the "default" output in XBMC. I just called it "pcm.!default" because it makes more sense to me that way. Nerd Then again, i've been known to make no sense at all. Nod

I'll post back my XBMC options when i get home from work, it may or may not help you.
Here is what i'm using for settings... With the current asound.conf i get menu sounds and proper audio from all video sources. I do not use passthrough on my system as i have no receiver at this time. Sad

Audio output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boost volume level on downmix: Checked
-Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: Unchecked
-DTS capable receiver: Unchecked

Audio output device: Defaults
Custom audio device: none
Passtrough output device: hdmi
Custom passthrough device: none

/etc/asound.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "hw:1,3"
        rate 48000
    }
}
NightStormWolf Wrote:Here is what i'm using for settings... With the current asound.conf i get menu sounds and proper audio from all video sources. I do not use passthrough on my system as i have no receiver at this time. Sad

Audio output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boost volume level on downmix: Checked
-Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: Unchecked
-DTS capable receiver: Unchecked

Audio output device: Defaults
Custom audio device: none
Passtrough output device: hdmi
Custom passthrough device: none

/etc/asound.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "hw:1,3"
        rate 48000
    }
}

Thank you NightStormWolf:

This give my audio back. Except on "Audio Output Device" mine set to HDMI to get mine to play the sound.

Thanks m8.
superperry Wrote:Thank you NightStormWolf:

This give my audio back. Except on "Audio Output Device" mine set to HDMI to get mine to play the sound.

Thanks m8.

Glad my information was helpful.

Every system is different with the HDMI setup. The graphics and audio drivers all seem to setup and handle it in different ways. All we can do is experiment and test, test, test. Wink
Got my HDMI audio to work by uninstalling pulseaudio...
Belgium Wrote:Got my HDMI audio to work by uninstalling pulseaudio...

Pulseaudio -k also does the job.
Uninstalling pulseaudio makes my video stutter.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu Maverick - XBMC Dharma B4 - No HDMI Sound still0