Is Lirc needed at all with this system?
Hi all,

I need a confirmation for my thoughts...please.
I have a standalone XBMC Dharma RC1 system on minimal Lucid OS.

As if I have understood right current system has a good support for MCE remotes like mine is.
The remote is basic MCE clone that sends keyboard presses and the IR-receiver is in USB-port. The XBMC setting; remote sends keyboard presses, is chosen.

So the question is that do I need LIRC to be installed at all?

And the second question is that, if I want some functions added or modified with my remote I should only edit the remote.xml in userdata/keymaps folder to overrideor add some functions?

Br, Zemy
I run a full unbuntu lucid install so I can't really tell you for sure but you can open a terminal window and type irw to test. Then, if you press buttons on the remote the terminal window will list the commands if it recognizes them. If it does nothing then install lirc.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:I run a full unbuntu lucid install so I can't really tell you for sure but you can open a terminal window and type irw to test. Then, if you press buttons on the remote the terminal window will list the commands if it recognizes them. If it does nothing then install lirc.

I have had this system for a "long time" and used to have the lirc running as it was needed with previous versions and it is still running because I have always upgraded the XBMC to current available. So my questions are to declare some basic thoughts to understand the system and XBMC.

Ofcourse some day I have to build the system from the start, but so far the system is running nice and when the "day" comes I would be smarter if I knew.

Br, Zemy
First and last up.

I know someone knows...Blush

Br, Zemy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Lirc needed at all with this system?0